Dedestar03
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I’m interested in doing a 3 year bachelors degree in sociology but I do biology, chemistry and and photography. Can I still do sociology 3 year or should I just find something different ?
ellm4e
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
usually the uni websites have entry requirements and specify if there’s specific subjects you have to have studied at a level to get in! i haven’t seen anything for sociology but can always email the uni for advice if you’re still unsure
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i've not seen any uni have specific subject requirements for sociology so you should be fine. you've taken quite traditionally academic rigorous subjects too and not all colleges/sixth forms can offer a level sociology so unis won't ask for it.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sociology at Portsmouth : https://www.port.ac.uk/study/courses/bsc-hons-sociology
Sociology at Exeter : https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergradua.../sociologybsc/

You'll have to give some convincing reasons for wanting to do Sociology without having done any social science before.
And you will have to delve into some serious examples of areas that interest you to show that this isnt just a passing fancy - look at some Sociology podcasts to get some ideas and get a grounding in this area : https://www.york.ac.uk/sociology/res...dcastsarchive/ as just one example, and do some relevant reading - at the very least get hold of the course guides for A level Sociology so that you can use some examples of areas that interest you
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dedestar03)
So I’m interested in doing a 3 year bachelors degree in sociology but I do biology, chemistry and and photography. Can I still do sociology 3 year or should I just find something different ?
Hi - the other posters are correct in that for most universities you do not require an A level in Sociology to go onto study it.
You say that you are interested in the subject, so you must know some aspects that inspire you. You need to bring these out in your personal statement. This may be reading or personal research that you have done, or work experience (many jobs can be viewed with a sociology perspective).
Remember also that Sociology is a science based subject requiring research, experiments and recording and data analysis - all skills you will have learnt in Chemistry and Biology.
Sociology attracts students from a variety of backgrounds and different perspectives which add to the field of knowledge and benefit other students. Make something of your scientific background. Is there a link between human biochemisty and sociology - at Exeter we offer modules on addiction for example.
If you have a passion for a subject I am sure that this will come through.
Hope that this helps.
Karen - University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (124)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.27%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (86)
19.68%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (129)
29.52%

Watched Threads