How long does it take you to make notes?

Watch
AppleBananaPear
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Roughly how long does it take you to complete your notes for a certain gcse topic.

For example, it took me around 4 hours to condense chemistry aqa topic 4.9 onto 4 pages.

On average, I find that in 1 hour of work I produce 1 page and 1/3 of notes.

However, this may be slower than most people as I try to make sure I have all the necessary information down as concisely as possible without missing anything important out, so that when I finish a topic I know I won’t have to go back over it or I won’t feel doubtful that I don’t understand everything.
I also use two sources: my excercise book notes and my cgp revision guides.

Just interested to see how this compares to others.
HardWork101
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I finished gcses in 2018 I didn’t revise until April lol and I still somehow fluke my way to getting good grades
neney
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
for the sciences i don't write notes, there's a lot of resources like physicsandmathstutor and chemrevise which already condense the notes pretty well. i make flashcards directly from those notes.
AppleBananaPear
Rep:
?
(Original post by neney)
for the sciences i don't write notes, there's a lot of resources like physicsandmathstutor and chemrevise which already condense the notes pretty well. i make flashcards directly from those notes.
I find the actual note-taking process to be very helpful because since I wrote the notes myself, I know that when I've finished a topic I know everything I have to know and understand everything that is needed in a way that works for me
might_work
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
use flashcards instead it saves alot of time
isobeln
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AppleBananaPear)
I find the actual note-taking process to be very helpful because since I wrote the notes myself, I know that when I've finished a topic I know everything I have to know and understand everything that is needed in a way that works for me
same!!! i've gotta say i love doing notes but for something like physics i like to do it on OneNote coz it's clear and easy to navigate - and notes take no time to write. i then have a separate section with a page with allllll the equations, a page with a list of all the practicals i covered, etc. etc. it wld then take me an hour tops to write notes on a chapter
It takes me about an hour and a half i'd say to do two pages of normal notes on paper
pepsimaxcherry
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Little tip, massive pages of work aren’t that useful. Writing them out helps you get the information in your head, but other than that they do not do much.

You’re better off condensing information onto flash cards or small posters. You want things that you can quickly look at before your exams etc. Massive pages of work and lots of words isn’t going to be the quickest thing to look through before your exams.

I sat my GCSES 2 years ago and everyone who brought in folders of notes with pages and pages of notes, really struggled to retain the information.

If it works for you, then continue! But it’s not the easiest thing to look through right before your exam
AppleBananaPear
Rep:
?
(Original post by isobeln)
same!!! i've gotta say i love doing notes but for something like physics i like to do it on OneNote coz it's clear and easy to navigate - and notes take no time to write. i then have a separate section with a page with allllll the equations, a page with a list of all the practicals i covered, etc. etc. it wld then take me an hour tops to write notes on a chapter
It takes me about an hour and a half i'd say to do two pages of normal notes on paper
I was thinking of using onenote but I found it too confusinf so just stayed with good old pen and paper
AppleBananaPear
Rep:
?
(Original post by pepsimaxcherry)
Little tip, massive pages of work aren’t that useful. Writing them out helps you get the information in your head, but other than that they do not do much.

You’re better off condensing information onto flash cards or small posters. You want things that you can quickly look at before your exams etc. Massive pages of work and lots of words isn’t going to be the quickest thing to look through before your exams.

I sat my GCSES 2 years ago and everyone who brought in folders of notes with pages and pages of notes, really struggled to retain the information.

If it works for you, then continue! But it’s not the easiest thing to look through right before your exam
Well the reason I make my notes is to try condense the knowledge into as small a place as possible cause I find the cgp revision guides to be too long. Like for example I managed to condense the radiation physics topic into 4 sides and 1/3 - idk if thats long or short though but it seems short to me. But I guess I could always use my notes to make flashcards in the future, since I have all the info in one place
Moonbow
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Roughly how long does it take you to complete your notes for a certain gcse topic.

For example, it took me around 4 hours to condense chemistry aqa topic 4.9 onto 4 pages.

On average, I find that in 1 hour of work I produce 1 page and 1/3 of notes.

However, this may be slower than most people as I try to make sure I have all the necessary information down as concisely as possible without missing anything important out, so that when I finish a topic I know I won’t have to go back over it or I won’t feel doubtful that I don’t understand everything.
I also use two sources: my excercise book notes and my cgp revision guides.

Just interested to see how this compares to others.
45 mins for a page!
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well the reason I make my notes is to try condense the knowledge into as small a place as possible cause I find the cgp revision guides to be too long. Like for example I managed to condense the radiation physics topic into 4 sides and 1/3 - idk if thats long or short though but it seems short to me. But I guess I could always use my notes to make flashcards in the future, since I have all the info in one place
Yeah that’s fine! I’m just saying that before your exams it’s easier to have something small with key info on to look at, but if this way works for you then go with it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (512)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.33%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (309)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.55%

Watched Threads