The Student Room Group

Sibling Emotions

Hi Everyone, So I need a safe place to reveal my emotions, and I feel that if I voice it with my family or anyone else I will be told that I'm wrong and mean. I think I'm going crazy or something , because when it comes to my younger sister, I truly feel hatred and dislike for her. It is very RARE that we're getting along. Vast majority of the time she's giving attitude to everyone around her,disrespecting everything,acting like she's the mom, get's majorly spoiled, pretends to be depressed and alone, and tries to walk all over me. I have not hit her, or said anything truly mean to her... But I have imagined scenarios where she ends up getting smacked so hard. Every time I'm with her I feel strong dislike and almost hatred. I don't think this is normal and my mom doesn't help, if anything she makes me double the hatred I feel for my sister. She says I only have 6 more months to deal with her, but that's not the point. I feel really really guilty about feeling this way because she is my sister and yeah if she died or anything I would be torn, But I honestly could care less what happens to her. I need some advice or something, because one of these days I don't think I can keep my temper in check and I'm scared of what will happen if I lose my temper with her.
Bro samee
How old are you both?
Reply 3
Original post by Memiiiiini
Bro samee

Literally!! And everyone keeps saying its a phase and I'm like "no this has been going on forever."
Reply 4
Original post by ashtolga23
How old are you both?

I'm 17 soon to be 18 she's 15. Please don't tell me it's a phase because I have been dealing with this for 10 years already.
Original post by alexx_20
I'm 17 soon to be 18 she's 15. Please don't tell me it's a phase because I have been dealing with this for 10 years already.

Oh goodness, okay! I was just curious.
Reply 6
Original post by ashtolga23
Oh goodness, okay! I was just curious.

It's Okay!! If you have any advice on what I should do, I'm all ears.
Reply 7
Original post by alexx_20
Hi Everyone, So I need a safe place to reveal my emotions, and I feel that if I voice it with my family or anyone else I will be told that I'm wrong and mean. I think I'm going crazy or something , because when it comes to my younger sister, I truly feel hatred and dislike for her. It is very RARE that we're getting along. Vast majority of the time she's giving attitude to everyone around her,disrespecting everything,acting like she's the mom, get's majorly spoiled, pretends to be depressed and alone, and tries to walk all over me. I have not hit her, or said anything truly mean to her... But I have imagined scenarios where she ends up getting smacked so hard. Every time I'm with her I feel strong dislike and almost hatred. I don't think this is normal and my mom doesn't help, if anything she makes me double the hatred I feel for my sister. She says I only have 6 more months to deal with her, but that's not the point. I feel really really guilty about feeling this way because she is my sister and yeah if she died or anything I would be torn, But I honestly could care less what happens to her. I need some advice or something, because one of these days I don't think I can keep my temper in check and I'm scared of what will happen if I lose my temper with her.

You are not responsible for your emotions, if you hate your sister you hate your sister. The only thing you can be judged on is how you *act*. And it seems you're doing a good job with that.

Something you might not be expecting is how you will feel in a few years. My mother hated her sister (my aunt), however, they became actually close in middle age!

So don't feel guilty, it happens, it's just how some things are.
have you tried to talk to her one on one about how she’s behaving and how she makes you feel?

Quick Reply

Latest