The Student Room Group

Nonbinary teen AMA

I'm nonbinary, 17, and applying to study English in 2021. I've been inspired to become more active on TSR by my boyfriend (@Tolgash). Ask me anything.
How did you come to know you are non-binary?

What's your favourite food?

Do you like dogs/cats more?
do you use they / them pronouns? :smile:
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
How did you come to know you are non-binary?

What's your favourite food?

Do you like dogs/cats more?

Hmm I think I heard the terms and began to wonder if they fit me. I was in the community anyway as I'm bi, so I looked into it some more. I actually thought I may be trans for a while, but nonbinary labels feel more like home.

Favourite food is a tough choice as it depends on my mood I guess haha. Pasta for something savoury, cookie dough for something sweet :smile:. What about you?

I'm sorry to all the canine-enthusiasts but I'm a cat lover personally. Dogs are cool too, especially smaller ones, but I grew up with cats and have a soft spot for them. I'm guessing by the profile picture you agree haha?
Original post by parmezanne
do you use they / them pronouns? :smile:

I'm pretty indifferent honestly. They/them is cool, but I don't mind any of the classics (he/they/she) as long as people aren't trying to upset me with them. With family and my boyfriend it actually feels a bit more natural for them to use she/her, so it's more down to the other person's preference than anything else. Whatever sounds right coming from them works well.

What are your pronouns? :smile:
Original post by ashtolga23
Hmm I think I heard the terms and began to wonder if they fit me. I was in the community anyway as I'm bi, so I looked into it some more. I actually thought I may be trans for a while, but nonbinary labels feel more like home.

Favourite food is a tough choice as it depends on my mood I guess haha. Pasta for something savoury, cookie dough for something sweet :smile:. What about you?

I'm sorry to all the canine-enthusiasts but I'm a cat lover personally. Dogs are cool too, especially smaller ones, but I grew up with cats and have a soft spot for them. I'm guessing by the profile picture you agree haha?

Foodwise it depends on the weather....
summer i like cold pasta and crepes
winter i like toast and cookies ( i tried to make them, but they ended up like thin pieces of ****)

Cats are good, but i like dogs more :smile:
There's this cat on my road, and she always walks inbetween my legs and put her head and strokes my leg, with her head and its like
SFNAERUGEURNIAAWEAWAWAWDOSPUTE
Foodwise it depends on the weather....
summer i like cold pasta and crepes
winter i like toast and cookies ( i tried to make them, but they ended up like thin pieces of ****)

Cats are good, but i like dogs more :smile:
There's this cat on my road, and she always walks inbetween my legs and put her head and strokes my leg, with her head and its like
SFNAERUGEURNIAAWEAWAWAWDOSPUTE

Ohh all good choices 🤤 - I hope the cookies end up better if you try them again haha!

I can’t believe I guessed wrong haha. That cat sounds so sweet!
Ohh all good choices 🤤 - I hope the cookies end up better if you try them again haha!

I can’t believe I guessed wrong haha. That cat sounds so sweet!

i wish i could try again....
my mum banned me from baking stuff
How many genders do you think there are?
i wish i could try again....
my mum banned me from baking stuff

Oh blimey lmao! Bless you haha. One day in the distant future you’ll have to give it a go and then revive this thread 😂
Original post by KelsieTaylor
How many genders do you think there are?

Personally I think three. Being nonbinary can mean so many different things, so I think in itself it should be understood as a very personal thing that essentially boils down to being outside of the gender binary (ie. simply male or female). Whether you feel as though you’re completely outside the binary or somewhere in the middle of it, I think the concept of being nonbinary could apply. This means we don’t need specific labels other than “nonbinary”. It would complicate things and try to define a very fluid thing, causing confusion for both those outside of the community and those trying to figure out exactly where they belong; when I first started questioning I was overwhelmed by all of the different labels, and didn’t know quite where I would fit. It’s easiest and best to have three options for identity in my opinion, and you can express that however you want to in any of them.

I understand the different opinions here, but to me this works best. What do you think?
Personally I think three. Being nonbinary can mean so many different things, so I think in itself it should be understood as a very personal thing that essentially boils down to being outside of the gender binary (ie. simply male or female). Whether you feel as though you’re completely outside the binary or somewhere in the middle of it, I think the concept of being nonbinary could apply. This means we don’t need specific labels other than “nonbinary”. It would complicate things and try to define a very fluid thing, causing confusion for both those outside of the community and those trying to figure out exactly where they belong; when I first started questioning I was overwhelmed by all of the different labels, and didn’t know quite where I would fit. It’s easiest and best to have three options for identity in my opinion, and you can express that however you want to in any of them.

I understand the different opinions here, but to me this works best. What do you think?

I agree with you 100%. I can understand why someone would not want to be either woman or man, but other than that, all the other non-conforming, half-spirited labels are ridiculous in my opinion.
Original post by KelsieTaylor
I agree with you 100%. I can understand why someone would not want to be either woman or man, but other than that, all the other non-conforming, half-spirited labels are ridiculous in my opinion.

Yeah, I definitely see it as unnecessary.

Quick Reply

Latest