Philosophy and Politics or History and Politics degree?

Watch
epicgang432
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Which will be more useful? I love both, and would like a job in law/politics
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
since you'll be doing a conversion, either really
epicgang432
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by HoldThisL)
since you'll be doing a conversion, either really
I might not though. I’m leaning more towards politics because I have strong connections in that area
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Heyy!

I'm currently doing a Politics & Philosophy degree and it's honestly wonderful. I was quite unsure if I wanted to do this or Politics & International Relations but it turned out to be the best decision I've ever made, because they're so interconnected and I often notice that there are concepts I know from Philosophy that make the Politics part a lot clearer. If you want to go into law or politics, having a background in philosophy can give you a huge advantage in terms of your approach and understanding of the practical things you'll be doing in your career. Some of the cool things about studying Politics & Philosophy at Sheffield in particular are that there's actually a module on Philosophy of Law, none of the modules in Philosophy are compulsory, so you can take absolutely anything that you find interesting (and at the same time avoid the modules you don't think you'd like) and some of our Philosophy lecturers that work on political philosophy actually have a background in law, so there's a lot to learn from them as well. There are also a lot of advantages in terms of assessment for PolPhil compared to Politics & History, I can tell you all about that if you'd like to know more.

Let me know if you have any questions about this type of degree in general or anything related to the field or the Uni, I'd be happy to help!

– Andreea
3rd Year, BA Politics & Philosophy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (76)
27.05%
No - I have already returned home (33)
11.74%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (57)
20.28%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (30)
10.68%
No - I live at home during term anyway (85)
30.25%

Watched Threads