The Student Room Group

New Zealand votes to legalise euthanasia

A good result from this referendum in ones view. Allowing people who are in untold suffering to legally request to be put out of their misery.
It also serves to end the tacit practice of Doctors subtly prescribing large lethal doses of painkillers and people being forced to buy illegal drugs online to do it themselves.

It does stand in stark opposition to the predicted failure of the cannabis referendum bill which seems to have failed judging by early counts though.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54728717
I would love to live in a progressive country.
Reply 2
Original post by DiddyDec
I would love to live in a progressive country.

Not to mention functional :lol:
Original post by Napp
Not to mention functional :lol:

Most countries function with different degrees of success.
Reply 4
Original post by DiddyDec
Most countries function with different degrees of success.

It is indeed a scale but it's hard to equate the smooth hum of Wellington with the cartwheeling of London these days. It's interesting speaking to the wonks in MFAT, The Beehive etc. who simply cannot understand how Britain went from a governance model akin to a Rolls Royce to, well, what it is now. Senior mandarins being pitched under various busses, the government doing more u-turns than a tourist trapped in the rat run of London.
That being said, 5mn vs. near 70 odd million does make it a touch easier to govern :lol:
Why stop with the terminally ill? In my opinion this isn’t going far enough
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Underscore__

You have to start somewhere, this allows for an expansion should there be demand.
Reply 7
Original post by Underscore__

Who else would you like to include?
Reply 8
congrats to New Zealand as this is a step in the right direction. tbh tho doesn’t go far enough for me either as the qualifier is one must be terminally ill with less than six months to live and must be approved by two doctors; so presumably someone like Tony Bland who was in a coma for nearly four years wouldn’t qualify(?).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Bland

i wonder why this referendum was binding and the cannabis one wasn’t.
Reply 9
Original post by Joleee
congrats to New Zealand as this is a step in the right direction. tbh tho doesn’t go far enough for me either as the qualifier is one must be terminally ill with less than six months to live and must be approved by two doctors; so presumably someone like Tony Bland who was in a coma for nearly four years wouldn’t qualify(?).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Bland

i wonder why this referendum was binding and the cannabis one wasn’t.

Mmm true say on that. I think they opted for the baby steps approach due to the sheer novelty of this and them having no real idea how the public would respond. Scare tales of turning New Zealand into a murder factory abounded during the campaign :lol:

Ah i did know the answer to the cannabis one, if memory serves it was something about since it was being run alongside the election the government could have dramatically changed to a party which wasnt overly keen on the matter. With that being said, it would have been rather hard for them to ignore it either way.

I do find the two policies a bit odd though. They took the minimalist approach with the Euthanasia bill and a maximalist one with the Cannabis :lol: Interesting results nevertheless.
Original post by Napp
Who else would you like to include?

Everyone
This is a good result for New Zealand and I am proud to call the place my home. Allowing terminally ill people to kill themselves is cheaper than providing end-of-life healthcare.
Good decision. One should have the right to decide when one passes away.
How about if they are depressed?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending