at.midnight
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
What does it mean by virtual quark anti-quark pairs? I thought a proton was a hadron not a meson with quark and anti-quark combinations? Please could someone help clarify this? Thank you!

Name:  D720A3E9-B766-4577-B561-8142D4A120B5.jpg.jpeg
Views: 9
Size:  26.9 KB
MacsenT
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i think it is referring to the exchange particle of the strong nuclear force which is the pion which is made up of a quark and an antiquark, would make sense for it to be inside a baryon because it is what holds them together. by 'virtual' it just means it is an exhange particle aka gauge boson
MacsenT
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MacsenT)
i think it is referring to the exchange particle of the strong nuclear force which is the pion which is made up of a quark and an antiquark, would make sense for it to be inside a baryon because it is what holds them together. by 'virtual' it just means it is an exhange particle aka gauge boson
the pion is has charge +1 , 0 or -1 and all have zero strangeness, they can contain strange quarks but since it is a quark and anti quark pair the strangeness cancels out
a8i
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by at.midnight)
What does it mean by virtual quark anti-quark pairs? I thought a proton was a hadron not a meson with quark and anti-quark combinations? Please could someone help clarify this? Thank you!

Name:  D720A3E9-B766-4577-B561-8142D4A120B5.jpg.jpeg
Views: 9
Size:  26.9 KB
a proton is a hadron, which consists of three quarks, but the exchange particle for the strong nuclear force between particles is a pion, which is made up of a quark anti-quark pair. It is virtual because they aren't detected directly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads