4greenbottles
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have GCSE grades of 988777766 but am predicted 3 A stars. I want to apply for politics and economics as a single degree - looking at UCL basc and LSE econ and politics but not sure if my GCSEs will make a competitive application

I don't really get a lot of support from my family (no one went to uni), live in a POLAR2 area so I'm completely clueless. Could anyone give any advice or alternative unis? Thanks!
14efd
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The fact that you got a 9 speaks for itself so you obviously must be clever not to mention being predicted 3 A*s! I think the fact that you're the first one in your family to go to uni will make sure that you're application gets noticed- first generation applicants are always important because they want to give you a good chance of getting in 😊 so I wouldnt worry about your GCSEs too much if your a levels are that impressive (they're better than what I predicted and I'm trying to get into oxford 😂) so I would say just go for it!
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Each University will state clearly on the course page exactly what GCSEs - subjects and grades - they require for each subject.
Many Unis will also score your overall' GCSE profile' and this forms part of the overall application assessment. However, its usually a small % of the total, typically 20%. Therefore your GCSEs will not be the deal-breaker - Unis are far more interested in A levels, Personal Statement etc.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 4greenbottles)
I have GCSE grades of 988777766 but am predicted 3 A stars. I want to apply for politics and economics as a single degree - looking at UCL basc and LSE econ and politics but not sure if my GCSEs will make a competitive application

I don't really get a lot of support from my family (no one went to uni), live in a POLAR2 area so I'm completely clueless. Could anyone give any advice or alternative unis? Thanks!
Most universities dont take an awful lot of notice of GCSEs but your are very good anyway. LSE is very competitive and difficult to get into. Some will look on you for a contextual offer. Are you just looking at London. If so, perhaps look at Kings. Places like Warwick, Exeter and Durham have good reputations in this area, It might be worth looking at subject tables and then work your way through. Dont totally rely on league tables as no table is accurate but at least it will give you some ideas. Look more for the course and location that is right for you.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 4greenbottles)

Your GCSEs are fine, but UCL and LSE are both competitive unis, so it is a good idea to think about alternative unis as well.

Do you want to stay in London, or would you consider moving elsewhere?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (107)
28.16%
No - I have already returned home (50)
13.16%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (72)
18.95%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
10.26%
No - I live at home during term anyway (112)
29.47%

Watched Threads