Is there shame around getting/passing on Covid?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I have a covid test tomorrow (not due to symptoms but having minor surgery so they want to make sure I test negative before going in)

I'm worried that if I get a positive result and have to share with my uni peers/friends that they have to self isolate because of me I'd feel really guilty and shameful :/
Rufus the red
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Seeing as you are showing no symptoms I wouldn't worry.
The government says you've got to self isolate with it so while it's a pain people you have come into contact with should self isolate/get tested.
It could strain relationships a tad but if you have good friends they'll be understanding and won't hold something that isn't your fault against you.
Alienated.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Eh, don't worry. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you test positive it's not you who tells your university but Public Health England [or whatever they're called now] therefore you'll remain anonymous- well that's what they're doing with schools in my area. If you've been responsible with the COVID measures and you've had no symptoms then I don't see the need to be worried and/or ashamed.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I have a covid test tomorrow (not due to symptoms but having minor surgery so they want to make sure I test negative before going in)

I'm worried that if I get a positive result and have to share with my uni peers/friends that they have to self isolate because of me I'd feel really guilty and shameful :/
I think that's a common fear because after a work colleague tested postitive, a few of us had to self isolate for 2 weeks and she said she was embarrassed and anxious about coming back to work. She shouldn't have worried though as none of us blamed her in the slightest - some people were happy to have had the break!
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Their is no shame in getting covid & passing it on to housemates/people you've interacted with is inevitable; thats what happens in a pandemic.

What is important is you follow the guidance so you minimise transmission and dont put anyone at unnecessary risk.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (98)
28.41%
No - I have already returned home (45)
13.04%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (66)
19.13%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.14%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.28%

Watched Threads