vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Ok so I have some weird physics shower thoughts lol dont judge me lmao

1. what makes a diving board springy? Is it something to do with moments? cuz its only springy at one end

2. lol ok so you when you hold a showerhead, is the water force greater if you hold it in ur hand or if u place it on the place where its supposed to be lol. Cuz i was thinking it makes no difference cuz when you put it up pressure=foce/area right, the area is slightly greater so the pressure is smaller??? But then I considered the effect of gravity, and gpe=mgh and cuz the showerhead, if places above you, has a greater acceleration due ot gravity cuz there's a greater height, so the gpe is greater, therefore the kinetic energy is greater???????? this is seriously confusing me...

3. I had one more but i forgot

yeah im sorry abt my bad description skills lol im just curious ahah
lordaxil
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
1. what makes a diving board springy? Is it something to do with moments? cuz its only springy at one end
A diving board is an elastic beam which is anchored at one end so it can't move or rotate. It appears to get more "springy" as you move from the anchored end to the free end because the bending moment exerted by your weight has to be tranmitted from where you're standing to the anchored end of the board. This requires a deflection of the board, which is then magnified when you jump up and down. The vertical deflection at the point you are standing varies as the cube of how far you are away from the anchor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deflection_(engineering)

2. lol ok so you when you hold a showerhead, is the water force greater if you hold it in ur hand or if u place it on the place where its supposed to be lol.
Most electrical showers are driven by a pump which tries to maintain a fixed volume flow rate for a given set temperature (some more successfully than others). So, it is reasonable to assume that the water emerges from the shower head at roughly the same velocity irrespective of height. Therefore, the force it exerts on you when it falls from a greater height will likely be larger than if it is at a lower height because when it loses GPE as you suggest.

3. I had one more but i forgot
Sorry, I'm not a mind-reader!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed