Are you allowed to chew gum in an exam?

Watch
Maddio4
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have severe anxiety and chewing gum really helps to relax my anxiety. I'm aware your not allowed food or any drinks other than water but would gum be okay? I have my resits in a few days and need help asap! For my maths resit I believe I might be on my own in a separate room because I was granted that as an access arrangement but I won't be on my own for my english ones so would that play any role in whether not I would be allowed chewing gum? And even if I'm not allowed what would happen if I went into an exam already chewing gum?
MoonytheMarauder
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think generally people aren't allowed to but if you talk to your school about it and if it's linked to medical reasons they might be able to make an exception. As annoying as it is, assume you won't be allowed to and try to prepare for that
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Maddio4)
I have severe anxiety and chewing gum really helps to relax my anxiety. I'm aware your not allowed food or any drinks other than water but would gum be okay? I have my resits in a few days and need help asap! For my maths resit I believe I might be on my own in a separate room because I was granted that as an access arrangement but I won't be on my own for my english ones so would that play any role in whether not I would be allowed chewing gum? And even if I'm not allowed what would happen if I went into an exam already chewing gum?
I think an invigilator would ask you to spit it out. The sound of you chewing could be distracting to other candidates
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Probably not unless you had a medical note for it.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You wouldn't be the first person to try scribbling their revision on gum wrappers :rolleyes:
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's at the centre's discretion, so ask them. Anything you ere allowed to take in would have to be in a clear wrapper
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (61)
28.11%
No - I have already returned home (25)
11.52%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (48)
22.12%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (21)
9.68%
No - I live at home during term anyway (62)
28.57%

Watched Threads