lu03
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I started university as a pharmaceutical and chemical engineering student. It’s been three weeks and I feel like it’s not right. Every time I think of switching my major, I stop and think, what would I even switch to?

I’m really lost. I have no idea what my true passion is at life. I’m like the jack of all trades, master of none because in high school, I was getting perfect grades in every subject, but none of the subjects particularly interested me.

Just to give a little background information, my brother was an engineering student and switched to business and then again to mass media and communications. My parents think he threw away his future by quitting business and engineering. Mind you, he didn’t get good grades in school.

I, on the other hand, got great grades so they expect even more of me. They said they were supportive of any decision I might make, but I know they will be disappointed if I switch my major to something ‘less’.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my parents endlessly, but they have the traditional thoughts that only engineering or medicine brings a good future.

Back to the point, I am not enjoying the classes I’m taking at all. I don’t feel like it’s what I’m supposed to be doing. It just does not feel right to me at all, but then again, nothing else does.

I’m still in my first semester, so it’s not too late to change, but I’m scared and lost and I don’t know what to do.
ajsbdashkdasd
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lu03)
I started university as a pharmaceutical and chemical engineering student. It’s been three weeks and I feel like it’s not right. Every time I think of switching my major, I stop and think, what would I even switch to?

I’m really lost. I have no idea what my true passion is at life. I’m like the jack of all trades, master of none because in high school, I was getting perfect grades in every subject, but none of the subjects particularly interested me.

Just to give a little background information, my brother was an engineering student and switched to business and then again to mass media and communications. My parents think he threw away his future by quitting business and engineering. Mind you, he didn’t get good grades in school.

I, on the other hand, got great grades so they expect even more of me. They said they were supportive of any decision I might make, but I know they will be disappointed if I switch my major to something ‘less’.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my parents endlessly, but they have the traditional thoughts that only engineering or medicine brings a good future.

Back to the point, I am not enjoying the classes I’m taking at all. I don’t feel like it’s what I’m supposed to be doing. It just does not feel right to me at all, but then again, nothing else does.

I’m still in my first semester, so it’s not too late to change, but I’m scared and lost and I don’t know what to do.
To be honest, I feel the exact same way. In the process of applying to uni but I'm just not sure if I would want to carry studying and not pursue and find my true passion. You only live once am I right? Just feel a bit lost right now as well but I feel the only clear path for me right now is getting a degree first. I don't know
lu03
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ajsbdashkdasd)
To be honest, I feel the exact same way. In the process of applying to uni but I'm just not sure if I would want to carry studying and not pursue and find my true passion. You only live once am I right? Just feel a bit lost right now as well but I feel the only clear path for me right now is getting a degree first. I don't know
yeah that’s exactly the way i feel. i don’t know what i want to do with my life. i talked to my mom and she helped me realize that pharmaceutical and chemical engineering doesn’t have only one path, so i kind of want to continue with the degree. i mean i guess i’ll just continue and see what happens.
nikkiblonsky
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lu03)

if its something that you dont enjoy then you shouldnt go with it because it opens up a wide range of options, medicine and engineering are good degrees but not the only ones out there with value. I suggest you talk with your uni about maybe switching courses and talking to your family about how you feel. Maybe ask around the uni at what each course in a sense intails or cheking the uni's website to get a feel and then make a decision from their
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would consider switching to a more general non-engineering degree, chemistry would be the obvious choice. Honestly, you will struggle to get by doing an engineering degree if you don't have the passion for it, and I imagine the same is true for pharmaceuticals. Whilst that's probably true to an extent with chemistry too, it's not as prominent an issue as with engineering.

Alternatively, take a gap year and think more about what you want to do. Consider different career paths other than university like apprenticeships, study a bunch of different topics to find what you're interested in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (663)
33.5%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (843)
42.6%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (384)
19.4%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.5%

Watched Threads