Paisley99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m about 3 years behind my peers in doing a degree. I’m 21 and going to try and finish my degree in physics. Having a gap year has given me so much time to think and realise how hard it is to have a job:
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why would your age matter regarding getting a job?
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why not?
Advertisement
Paisley99
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Why not?
I’ve never had one before and my family tell me my degrees unemployable
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How bizarre?
Advertisement
Paisley99
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tinygirl96)
How bizarre?
They’re asian
navybluemug
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Paisley99)
They’re asian
That explains a LOT!
Advertisement
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Physics is a pretty employable degree. You can do a PhD and be a researcher. You may also try other jobs if you like (consulting, finance, accounting, HR...)
alex282
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m about 3 years behind my peers in doing a degree. I’m 21 and going to try and finish my degree in physics. Having a gap year has given me so much time to think and realise how hard it is to have a job:
Being 21 is nothing, but finding relevant employment is super competitive for most fields nowadays because everyone has a degree. For physics you will likely need to live in certain area which has these types of jobs
Advertisement
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You’re doing a stem degree and you’re 21 you will be employed very quickly when you enter the jobs market.

Whoever said otherwise is an idiot
0le
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by paul514)
You’re doing a stem degree and you’re 21 you will be employed very quickly when you enter the jobs market.

Very quickly? Well that is clearly wrong. Have you browsed the career forums yet and observed how many people struggle to find jobs, pre-covid...
Advertisement
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 0le)
Very quickly? Well that is clearly wrong. Have you browsed the career forums yet and observed how many people struggle to find jobs, pre-covid...
The person hasn’t even finished their degree yet 😂
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A physics degree is definitely worthwhile and of course you will be employed
It is not easy however. Finding work is tough nowadays.
What did you do on your gap year?
For your own sake, and to show your parents, you should do some research to see where it can take you and you’ll know what to aim for.
Whilst you’re studying you should do some part time work or volunteering to start building a cv
Good luck
Advertisement
0le
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The person hasn’t even finished their degree yet 😂
What has that got to do with my post? You said that they will get a job very quickly [once they graduate] and I disagreed with that.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 0le)
What has that got to do with my post? You said that they will get a job very quickly [once they graduate] and I disagreed with that.
You disagreed because of Covid, they aren’t looking for a job now they are in education.
0le
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You disagreed because of Covid, they aren’t looking for a job now they are in education.
No I did not, I quite clearly said pre-covid, indicating that before covid-19, it was difficult to find a job and the implication which I assumed most people would understand is that covid-19 would make it more difficult. Many people struggle to find jobs, so telling an individual that it can be done "quickly" is misleading at best and saying "Whoever said otherwise is an idiot" is just plain wrong.
Last edited by 0le; 4 weeks ago
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Physics is a proper subject, not a Mickey Mouse one. you will be attractive to all kinds of employers once you graduate.
Advertisement
alex282
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Just because it's a tough degree doesn't mean it's easy to find employment, graduate positions are super competitive nowadays and will be even more so soon. I graduated with a 2.1 MEng Electrical Engineering degree in 2016 (with summer placement experience), I was lucky to get a short-term contract job and then after it finished that I got a trainee electrical building services design engineer job which lasted a year before being dismissed. Since then, which was almost 3 years ago, I have not been able to find anything and have even been turned away from a summer placements offering minimum wage.

Location is also key for something like a physics degree because there are many regions which will not have anything for this, it's quite specific and most likely you will need to be near some sort of research park or big city.

Also it is a misconception that someone will get a job just because they are booksmart (and can do a science degree), things have changed and now everyone has a degree whilst industry in the UK is declining. Employers don't care much about academics and theory, they want real experience and social skills. I also found that because I have a masters I was often looked down upon as a threat for coming the academic route and having qualifications higher than those "engineers" who would be my boss (they usually had college-level qualifcations)
Paisley99
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
A physics degree is definitely worthwhile and of course you will be employed
It is not easy however. Finding work is tough nowadays.
What did you do on your gap year?
For your own sake, and to show your parents, you should do some research to see where it can take you and you’ll know what to aim for.
Whilst you’re studying you should do some part time work or volunteering to start building a cv
Good luck
In my gap year I’m studying and maybe looking for some employment part time. I’m also volunteering at oxfam. I don’t mind relocating even across the world if I have to.
Last edited by Paisley99; 3 weeks ago
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
In my gap year I’m studying and maybe looking for some employment part time. I’m also volunteering at oxfam. I don’t mind relocating even across the world if I have to.
That’s great!! You’re doing good things so stick to your guns and achieve your goals. Be firm. Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads