Is therapy for childhood sexual assault NECESSARY?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Can’t you go without it. If you didn’t go, what effects would that have on your life/relationships later?

Some context:
I was sexually assaulted by my this man a few times when I was around 7-11. I wasn’t offered therapy until I was 14 (I’m 16 now) I ended up going to 2 sessions and couldn’t go anymore as I was getting flashbacks, nightmares, disgusting feelings about my body. So I stopped going. From when I was like 12 I had panic attacks in close spaces around men, I was very uncomfortable around them and would feel grim about my body a lot. This lasted until around when I turned 15, when it started to die down, I became more comfortable around some men, no more panic attacks, only occasionally disgusted feelings. So I decided I was okay. I know I’m not okay but I just really really don’t want to go back to therapy. It’s so hard and I have nobody to talk to about it when the flashbacks happen. (Other than the therapist ofc). Oh and Idk if this is relevant but I used to go on websites and talk to older men idk why but it’s very grim and I hate myself for it. I haven’t told anyone about that.

So say if I didn’t go, would it make that much of a difference? Could I just be without it? My best friend told me to promise her to go once I’m 18 at the least and I did but idk if I will keep it.

~ Ell
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
To answer your question, no. Therapy has been proven to help many people, but don’t believe that institutions are the only ones to help you out.

That said, your previous experience with therapy has also set the scene for other problems. It’s a complex issues so someone ‘equipped’ to deal with it in a certain way is important as opposed to talking it out with someone you know who is insensitive or untrustworthy.

Why don’t you mention at the start of your session that this is the huge problem - therapy? They can take that into account too and may not ask you such direct questions which trigger you. Let them know this is a trigger.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
To answer your question, no. Therapy has been proven to help many people, but don’t believe that institutions are the only ones to help you out.

That said, your previous experience with therapy has also set the scene for other problems. It’s a complex issues so someone ‘equipped’ to deal with it in a certain way is important as opposed to talking it out with someone you know who is insensitive or untrustworthy.

Why don’t you mention at the start of your session that this is the huge problem - therapy? They can take that into account too and may not ask you such direct questions which trigger you. Let them know this is a trigger.
So I could just stay without it though?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
So I could just stay without it though?
You could but it won’t solve anything. You may end up burying your traumas and never resolving them. This is not good because they always come up in later life.

Do you have someone close to you who you trust and is understanding?
Anonymous #1
You could but it won’t solve anything. You may end up burying your traumas and never resolving them. This is not good because they always come up in later life.

Do you have someone close to you who you trust and is understanding?
How would they effect me later in life? And yes but I feel like I would just burden them at this point. I don’t want anyone else to carry my baggage or think that I’m making the situation bigger than it is.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
How would they effect me later in life? And yes but I feel like I would just burden them at this point. I don’t want anyone else to carry my baggage or think that I’m making the situation bigger than it is.
It could affect your future romantic relationships, or if you keep getting panics in closed spaces with men around. Those kinds of situations aren’t always avoidable. Also it could impact your self esteem and stop you from looking back on your life with acceptance.

You have the right to see it as a big deal, it is. You can accept the feelings you have. It’s not baggage either, you can’t always control what other people do. You deserve to move through this.

Perhaps you can think of a way to let things out or discuss your fears in a slow way rather than ‘unload’ everything and feel like you’ve ‘burdened’ someone if this is your worry. Those close to you are unlikely to think that anyway, they surely care about you.
Anonymous #1
It could affect your future romantic relationships, or if you keep getting panics in closed spaces with men around. Those kinds of situations aren’t always avoidable. Also it could impact your self esteem and stop you from looking back on your life with acceptance.

You have the right to see it as a big deal, it is. You can accept the feelings you have. It’s not baggage either, you can’t always control what other people do. You deserve to move through this.

Perhaps you can think of a way to let things out or discuss your fears in a slow way rather than ‘unload’ everything and feel like you’ve ‘burdened’ someone if this is your worry. Those close to you are unlikely to think that anyway, they surely care about you.
Okay thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (98)
28.41%
No - I have already returned home (45)
13.04%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (66)
19.13%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.14%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.28%

Watched Threads