Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I'm not really sure what to do because I'm struggling to make friends at uni and honestly I'm feeling really down. The flatmate I'm closest to has friends from home here and so she just goes out with them and I've asked to come too to meet some other people but she's just never really invited me and I didnt want to push too hard. Also i dont really get along with my other flatmates- they just don't seem to want to spend any time together. Also, in the current situation its really hard to have socials in persons with societies and stuff but even the ones that I have seen actually doing stuff in person wont reply to my emails etc. I'm also quite down because everyone I went to school with seems to be having a great time at uni and I just feel like I'm doing it wrong but i really don't know what else to try.
Jaggy7566
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I'm not really sure what to do because I'm struggling to make friends at uni and honestly I'm feeling really down. The flatmate I'm closest to has friends from home here and so she just goes out with them and I've asked to come too to meet some other people but she's just never really invited me and I didnt want to push too hard. Also i dont really get along with my other flatmates- they just don't seem to want to spend any time together. Also, in the current situation its really hard to have socials in persons with societies and stuff but even the ones that I have seen actually doing stuff in person wont reply to my emails etc. I'm also quite down because everyone I went to school with seems to be having a great time at uni and I just feel like I'm doing it wrong but i really don't know what else to try.
Hiya! So firstly, I have to tell you that you absolutely shouldn't worry (easier said than done) - you are definitely not doing it wrong! There are so many people that are in exactly the same situation as you!

In terms of your flatmates, I'm sorry to hear that you don't really get along with them, and that the one that you do isn't really inviting you anywhere. Unfortunately, that's the negative side of living in halls- it's such a gamble as to who you get. I think the key problem you're having is, as you've said, trying to make new friends given the current circumstances. Here are a few of my suggestions:

1) This is so key, but make sure you maintain a good work-life balance. It's so easy to spend all day every day in your room working at your laptop. I suggest setting yourself a cut-off time, after which you do no work and take time out for yourself. Do you have any hobbies you could spend this time on?

2) Make sure you're getting frequent exercise. This is scientifically proven to boost your mood. If you're like me and hat any physical activity lol, then maybe even something as simple as going for a walk for half an hour in the evening with some music/podcast whatever may help you just get a bit of fresh air and some exercise

3) Now in terms of making friends. I would start with people on your course as these people are most-likely going to be like-minded people to you! Do you guys have a group chat together? Maybe you could just put a quick text in there saying: "does anyone want to meet up and go for a walk/coffee or something?" There is bound to be at least one person on your course that is also in a similar position and will say yes!

4) With regards to your societies, maybe just send a reminder email to them? I know there is a lot of email traffic going around as it becomes everyone's primary way of communication... If that doesn't work, join other societies that you are genuinely interested in - even if they are only doing virtual meets, it still gives you an opportunity to meet like-minded people and maybe from there you can get their numbers/snaps etc.

Honestly, I totally empathise with your situation. I'm sure it's super hard to keep positive. But don't worry- it will get better. You will find people! Just try and do a couple of the things I've mentioned and it'll go a long way to looking after your mental health and your social life! I hope this helps
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jaggy7566)
Hiya! So firstly, I have to tell you that you absolutely shouldn't worry (easier said than done) - you are definitely not doing it wrong! There are so many people that are in exactly the same situation as you!

In terms of your flatmates, I'm sorry to hear that you don't really get along with them, and that the one that you do isn't really inviting you anywhere. Unfortunately, that's the negative side of living in halls- it's such a gamble as to who you get. I think the key problem you're having is, as you've said, trying to make new friends given the current circumstances. Here are a few of my suggestions:

1) This is so key, but make sure you maintain a good work-life balance. It's so easy to spend all day every day in your room working at your laptop. I suggest setting yourself a cut-off time, after which you do no work and take time out for yourself. Do you have any hobbies you could spend this time on?

2) Make sure you're getting frequent exercise. This is scientifically proven to boost your mood. If you're like me and hat any physical activity lol, then maybe even something as simple as going for a walk for half an hour in the evening with some music/podcast whatever may help you just get a bit of fresh air and some exercise

3) Now in terms of making friends. I would start with people on your course as these people are most-likely going to be like-minded people to you! Do you guys have a group chat together? Maybe you could just put a quick text in there saying: "does anyone want to meet up and go for a walk/coffee or something?" There is bound to be at least one person on your course that is also in a similar position and will say yes!

4) With regards to your societies, maybe just send a reminder email to them? I know there is a lot of email traffic going around as it becomes everyone's primary way of communication... If that doesn't work, join other societies that you are genuinely interested in - even if they are only doing virtual meets, it still gives you an opportunity to meet like-minded people and maybe from there you can get their numbers/snaps etc.

Honestly, I totally empathise with your situation. I'm sure it's super hard to keep positive. But don't worry- it will get better. You will find people! Just try and do a couple of the things I've mentioned and it'll go a long way to looking after your mental health and your social life! I hope this helps
Thank you, I hadn't thought of putting it straight into my course group chat, i will try this and see if i can meet a few people through there
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (61)
27.73%
No - I have already returned home (25)
11.36%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (50)
22.73%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (21)
9.55%
No - I live at home during term anyway (63)
28.64%

Watched Threads