Tammie2345524
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’ve applied to study natural sciences at Cambridge. I’m going to study biological sciences at university, and although I considered doing chemistry if Cambridge offer me a place, I’ve looked through all the first year modules and cell biology, physiology of organism and behaviour and evolution all really appeal to me. The classic biological science choices.
However, the mathematics module looks far more appealing than the mathematical biology module, even though it is aimed towards the physical sciences. My A levels are biology, chemistry, maths and further maths. If I receive an offer, would it be possible to do mathematics instead? And would it disadvantage me if I didn’t take mathematical biology?
My issue is that I love biology and I hate physics but I really enjoy maths and prefer pure maths to statistics.
lordaxil
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You are very strongly advised to do Mathematical Biology and not Maths for Physical Scientists. In my experience, biologists who take the Physical maths stream miss out on some interesting biological applications of maths and also end up doing poorly in the end of year exams in competition with pure Physical Scientists who have an advantage by doing Physics. You will find plenty of stimulating maths in the MB course, and it will be much more suitable for you in future if you pursue biological subject options.
R T
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Tammie2345524)
I’ve applied to study natural sciences at Cambridge. I’m going to study biological sciences at university, and although I considered doing chemistry if Cambridge offer me a place, I’ve looked through all the first year modules and cell biology, physiology of organism and behaviour and evolution all really appeal to me. The classic biological science choices.
However, the mathematics module looks far more appealing than the mathematical biology module, even though it is aimed towards the physical sciences. My A levels are biology, chemistry, maths and further maths. If I receive an offer, would it be possible to do mathematics instead? And would it disadvantage me if I didn’t take mathematical biology?
My issue is that I love biology and I hate physics but I really enjoy maths and prefer pure maths to statistics.
You can definitely do the Mathematics module. It isn't a disadvantage. I know a lot of bionatscis who did very well on it in first year.

If you like the look of the Maths module over the biomaths module that is fair enough. I will tell you (as someone who did the maths module) that it is quite heavily geared towards physics - its basically a theoretical fundamentals course. There is a lot of matrices, calculus, differential fields/ PDEs (basically, a lot of applied maths that 2nd year physicists will use).

The biomaths course will be more geared towards maths you'd be more likely to use in biology, but this isn't really a reason to pick it on its own. If you are going into a more theoretical line of biology research (e.g. protein folding) then having a stronger set of core maths skills will help a lot. I think the fact that you have done Maths + Further Maths means that the majority of the Bio Maths course will be revision (and tbh, quite a lot of the IA NatSci Mathematics course itself is revision with a bit added on).
sweeneyrod
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Tammie2345524)
It would definitely be possible. I am not a natsci but I would guess that if you do well in A-level FM then Maths rather than MathsBio would actually be the more usual choice (given that MathsBio is supposed to be appropriate for people without even A-level Maths).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (674)
33.63%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (854)
42.61%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.21%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.54%

Watched Threads