is my salary enough to buy/rent my first property

Watch
poohead23
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi,

I'm currently in my final year of university. I secured a graduate role that pays 40k when I finish uni and was wondering if this salary is enough to rent/purchase property in east london. Nothing too big, a one bedroom flat would suffice.

My second question is would it be more economical to purchase or rent a property at such a young age. I feel like I should go for the latter because I don't plan to stay for more than a few years in my first home. This is mainly because I plan to purchase a bigger home in a few years to support my future wife/child as my salary increases.

My final question is whether I can live comfortably on this salary even after I purchase property. I ask this because I have a girlfriend that I want to bring over from the Philippines and I may need to sustain her needs until she finds a job.

Thanks in advance!
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
£40k is good for london you'll certainly be able to rent somewhere good+

you won't be able to buy anywhere even if you saved your entire annual salary for a year - no one could, unless you have savings

renting is essentially a waste of money, done for convenience/lack of savings to buy a place. although moving houses is expensive (agents/solicitor fees and tax etc), rent is lost money whereas a monthly mortgage at least goes towards buying something you can resell
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For a mortgage from most highstreet lenders you're going to need a deposit of at least 10-15% of the property value.

So for a £300k flat you need to be able to put down between £30k-45k and that's before fees and appliances/furnishings.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by poohead23)
Hi,

I'm currently in my final year of university. I secured a graduate role that pays 40k when I finish uni and was wondering if this salary is enough to rent/purchase property in east london. Nothing too big, a one bedroom flat would suffice.

My second question is would it be more economical to purchase or rent a property at such a young age. I feel like I should go for the latter because I don't plan to stay for more than a few years in my first home. This is mainly because I plan to purchase a bigger home in a few years to support my future wife/child as my salary increases.

My final question is whether I can live comfortably on this salary even after I purchase property. I ask this because I have a girlfriend that I want to bring over from the Philippines and I may need to sustain her needs until she finds a job.

Thanks in advance!
Run your salary through one of the 'what can I borrow' calculators available on any of the major players in the mainstream mortgage market - Santander etc.
You will need to put down at least 10%, preferably 15% of the purchase price as a deposit - this cannot be borrowed money.
The sum of the above will tell you what you have to play with.
Then get onto rightmove (or other property website) and do a search in the area you are considering - that will tell you what your budget will buy you.
You will also need savings for stamp duty, solicitor, survey etc.
The mortgage calculator will tell you what the mortgage repayment will be each month so then you can see what money that leaves you to live off - after factoring in the cost of owning a house (maintenance)
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by poohead23)
Hi,

Thanks in advance!
With a 40k salary you will be able to borrow about 190k.

That is not enough to buy a 1 bed flat in East London I'm afraid.
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
House price to salary ratios have gone bonkers. Work on saving, salary progression and finding a partner with good prospects.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ReadingMum)
Run your salary through one of the 'what can I borrow' calculators available on any of the major players in the mainstream mortgage market - Santander etc.
You will need to put down at least 10%, preferably 15% of the purchase price as a deposit - this cannot be borrowed money.
The sum of the above will tell you what you have to play with.
Then get onto rightmove (or other property website) and do a search in the area you are considering - that will tell you what your budget will buy you.
You will also need savings for stamp duty, solicitor, survey etc.
The mortgage calculator will tell you what the mortgage repayment will be each month so then you can see what money that leaves you to live off - after factoring in the cost of owning a house (maintenance)
They are asking for at least 20% deposit now,,,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (622)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (776)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.74%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads