could I get into oxbridge despite my gcses?

Watch
raquelthestudent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
How important are your GCSE grades when applying to Oxbridge? I am currently at AS Level, so my GCSE's were predicted. (I got 9,9,8,8,6,6,6,5,5) They weren't quite as I had hoped, especially since I had the ambition to study History at Cambridge.

If I got 3A*s at A Level, and had adequate work experience related to the subject, could I possibly get in despite my GCSE grades?

Thank you for your help!
izzxm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Of course you can, i think some people on tsr are brainwashed into thinking that you need to have all 9’s in everything to even apply to Oxbridge, so they’ll probably tell you to not even bother applying. Just because you didn’t get ‘perfect’ grades doesn’t mean you can’t apply and atleast have a chance of getting a place. You should go for it, considering you’ll have high A-level predictions because that’s a huge deciding factor. Just work hard to get your predictions + your actual grades, if you don’t get in then atleast you applied!
raquelthestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by izzxm)
Of course you can, i think some people on tsr are brainwashed into thinking that you need to have all 9’s in everything to even apply to Oxbridge, so they’ll probably tell you to not even bother applying. Just because you didn’t get ‘perfect’ grades doesn’t mean you can’t apply and atleast have a chance of getting a place. You should go for it, considering you’ll have high A-level predictions because that’s a huge deciding factor. Just work hard to get your predictions + your actual grades, if you don’t get in then atleast you applied!
thank you! honesty yeah, it seems everyone here things you need all 9's to get in.
raquelthestudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by raquelthestudent)
thank you! honesty yeah, it seems everyone here things you need all 9's to get in.
*thinks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.25%
No - I have already returned home (21)
13.13%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (34)
21.25%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.75%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed