lege-lego
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
How do you find out what your student fee status is? Do you have to request it from each university?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by lege-lego)
How do you find out what your student fee status is? Do you have to request it from each university?
In general, it's fairly straightforward. If you have lived in the UK for the last 3 years, you're a home student. Otherwise you're EU/international respectively.

If you have a more complex situation (e.g. you are a UK citizen but sometimes live abroad) you may need to discuss your situation with unis directly.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You read the notes attached to that field on UCAS Track.
You fill in your best guess,
If a Uni wants to question it, they'll contact you.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
In general, it's fairly straightforward. If you have lived in the UK for the last 3 years, you're a home student.
It isnt that straightforward - the important points are that you must have been in the UK legally, with a long term right to stay/work here, and have been here for more than 3 years 'for purposes other than education'. This means that either you or your parents MUST have been working and paying tax here.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by McGinger)
It isnt that straightforward - the important points are that you must have been in the UK legally, with a long term right to stay/work here, and have been here for more than 3 years 'for purposes other than education'. This means that either you or your parents MUST have been working and paying tax here.
I understand all of that- although you're wrong about the working/paying tax if you are a UK citizen- but given OP gives no context, the three years is a good starting point...
lege-lego
Rep:
?
In general, it's fairly straightforward. If you have lived in the UK for the last 3 years, you're a home student. Otherwise you're EU/international respectively.

If you have a more complex situation (e.g. you are a UK citizen but sometimes live abroad) you may need to discuss your situation with unis directly.
You read the notes attached to that field on UCAS Track.
You fill in your best guess,
If a Uni wants to question it, they'll contact you.
Thank you both. I'm a UK citizen but have only been living here for 2 years not 3...
Do you think I'd be able to get home fee status or change it to that after 1 year of uni?
AfricanDream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

In order to be classified as a home student you need to have lived here for at least 3 years and if you aren't a UK citizen, you also need to have a visa with no time limits (settled status which is also Indefinite Leave to Remain). You can only apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after living in the UK on the same type of visa for 5 years.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do you think I'd be able to get home fee status or change it to that after 1 year of uni?
No - because you will be at University.
The whole three years have to be 'for reasons other than education'.
lege-lego
Rep:
?
No - because you will be at University.
The whole three years have to be 'for reasons other than education'.
Okay but I've lived here for 2 years already and if I don't go to uni then I would still stay here anyway so it's not really for education. I wouldn't move away.
AfricanDream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you both. I'm a UK citizen but have only been living here for 2 years not 3...
If you start university under a different fee status, you would not be allowed to change to home status later on in your degree, you are stuck with the fee status you started your degree on. Also, just something for you to note, if you do a degree while considered an international student, then later on or even part way through that degree receive home status, if you go study further, say another degree, you will still be charged international rates. I had to do extensive research on this as I moved to the UK due to my dads work while still in high school, I have had to take several gap years before I could apply for university as beyond the 3 years residency (which I surpassed), I still needed to meet the settled status/ visa with no time limits condition (ILR, which I could only apply for this year after living here for 5+ years).
Last edited by AfricanDream; 3 weeks ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Where did you live before the last 2 years (and why were you living there)?

Fee status is based on Ordinary Residence which is more complex than just where you've been living. It's likely that your universities will ask you to complete a fee status questionnaire detailing your residence for the last 5+ years so that they can work out your ordinary residence and whether you're eligible for home fees.
If you are assessed as overseas fees this year then you can always take a gap year and start in 2022 when you have 3 years UK residence (but it's rare for fee status to change during a course - the residency requirements are based on the situation at the start of a course)

UKCISA has an excellent website explaining the various categories of students eligible for home fees (and for student support finance which has a more in depth list or requirements) - and they run a student advice phone line which is an excellent source of help if you're worried about making sure your universities understand your situation.

Universities assess your fee status but follow government rules and UKCISA guidance. So it's possibloe to be assessed as Home by one university and Overseas by another.
Eligibility for student finance is done by SFE (and has stricter rules than fee status - so if SFE award you a loan often that will be grounds for a university to update your fee status)
Last edited by PQ; 3 weeks ago
lege-lego
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Where did you live before the last 2 years (and why were you living there)?

Fee status is based on Ordinary Residence which is more complex than just where you've been living. It's likely that your universities will ask you to complete a fee status questionnaire detailing your residence for the last 5+ years so that they can work out your ordinary residence and whether you're eligible for home fees.
If you are assessed as overseas fees this year then you can always take a gap year and start in 2022 when you have 3 years UK residence (but it's rare for fee status to change during a course - the residency requirements are based on the situation at the start of a course)

UKCISA has an excellent website explaining the various categories of students eligible for home fees (and for student support finance which has a more in depth list or requirements) - and they run a student advice phone line which is an excellent source of help if you're worried about making sure your universities understand your situation.

Universities assess your fee status but follow government rules and UKCISA guidance. So it's possibloe to be assessed as Home by one university and Overseas by another.
Eligibility for student finance is done by SFE (and has stricter rules than fee status - so if SFE award you a loan often that will be grounds for a university to update your fee status)
Thanks a lot!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (594)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (723)
41.46%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (348)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.53%

Watched Threads