Can I get into PhD with a UK Merit degree?

Watch
Mahitha M
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello,I am a biological sciences student. I have completed my Bachelor's degree in India with a first class degree and my master's in UK, Bangor university. Although I have not received my final grade, I think I would get a merit degree. Will I be able to get into PhD in UK with these scores? Please help.
West1123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I got a first class in my BA in uk, merit in my MRes and I am currently doing my PhD at Liverpool (UoL) so I don’t see why you can’t. Scholarships may be more difficult to get but I managed one so not impossible. But I am in history
Last edited by West1123; 4 weeks ago
chaotic1328
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Oxbridge, maybe, but not very likely. The rest, you should have no problems if you are not after funding.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mahitha M)
Hello,I am a biological sciences student. I have completed my Bachelor's degree in India with a first class degree and my master's in UK, Bangor university. Although I have not received my final grade, I think I would get a merit degree. Will I be able to get into PhD in UK with these scores? Please help.
Maybe, their is more then degree classification to a PhD application. TBH the classification is quite a small part your knowledge & interest in the niche area of the project matter more, your ability to concisely explain this and why you are suited to research will also be very important.

If its a very low merit it might draw questions to your academic potential but the whole application is what matters.
QuentinM
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As someone who went through the process very recently, I agree strongly with mnot above. I have a 2:1 BSc and merit in my MRes in Medical Sciences/Biosciences, but the main reason I got the PhD position I'm on right now is because of the experience I had in a large number of the techniques used in the role (helps when you work in the lab next door for 6 months). I had 5 PhD interviews and they focused entirely on my experience/knowledge of the subjects involved (and this was despite my BSc transcript being pretty dicey IMO-at least a few modules that I barely passed, thankfully in unrelated topics).
Mahitha M
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by chaotic1328)
Oxbridge, maybe, but not very likely. The rest, you should have no problems if you are not after funding.
Thanks for your reply. I'm aiming for UCL. What do u think?
chaotic1328
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks for your reply. I'm aiming for UCL. What do u think?
I am in the social sciences, so do not really know much about the procedures in the stem subjects. Assuming that they are not drastically different, I cannot see why you shouldn't get in UCL. A friend with an average overseas undergrad degree and a mid merit masters from Leeds had offers from both UCL and Durham for a self-funded PhD. But as I say, this is in the social sciences, and stem may be different.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd say it depends on the kind of merit you have and your performance in your thesis. If your average or thesis is <65% I would be weary of your chances. And as above, if you're an international student and you need funding, there's very close to no chance if you've only got a merit unless you have substantial relevant work experience.
IntegrationLord
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Who said you can't. Life is limitless.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by chaotic1328)
I am in the social sciences, so do not really know much about the procedures in the stem subjects. Assuming that they are not drastically different, I cannot see why you shouldn't get in UCL. A friend with an average overseas undergrad degree and a mid merit masters from Leeds had offers from both UCL and Durham for a self-funded PhD. But as I say, this is in the social sciences, and stem may be different.
STEM PhDs are a bit different, having a research student usually costs the supervisor "real money" as they need lab space, lab consumables, have to present at conferences, access supercomputer support, need specific software etc and a standard studentship from RCUK typically covers some of that. Its considered a real risk to take on a self funder, certainly in my Dept. As others have said, the OP is going to find it very tough as an international student without a stellar track record to get any UK funding. They might do better looking at funding options from their home government, though that often requires a return home first, or considering the US where PhDs take longer, but you can work your way through them as a TA.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (631)
33.55%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (793)
42.16%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (373)
19.83%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (84)
4.47%

Watched Threads