Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Basically a few months ago my friend told me they felt depressed (their own words even though they’ve not been diagnosed) and that they like to cut themselves for fun. Yesterday we were all in a call and they disappeared which we figured was either for dinner or to go for a walk, but this morning they messaged me to say that they were in hospital from an attempt. However they told me not to tell anyone so I figure they aren’t going to tell our other friends which is weird, especially since they’re closer to them than they are to me. I know you should always believe someone with their mental health but it seems strange, I’ve been friends with compulsive liars before and it seriously harms your own mental health.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Just because they told you over someone you think they’re ‘closer’ with doesn’t mean that they don’t trust and feel more comfortable telling you. I know it is concerning that there is a possibility they’re lying and especially about something so serious and impactful. Just make sure to be there for them and support them but it’s also good you’re cautious and aware of the fact that this might not be true. If it ever starts to have a serious impact on you and your mental health then it’s important to consider your own feelings as well as theirs because it can become toxic. Keep an eye on the situation but also make sure to prioritise how your friend is feeling and make sure they get help while you’re being weary.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Just because they told you over someone you think they’re ‘closer’ with doesn’t mean that they don’t trust and feel more comfortable telling you. I know it is concerning that there is a possibility they’re lying and especially about something so serious and impactful. Just make sure to be there for them and support them but it’s also good you’re cautious and aware of the fact that this might not be true. If it ever starts to have a serious impact on you and your mental health then it’s important to consider your own feelings as well as theirs because it can become toxic. Keep an eye on the situation but also make sure to prioritise how your friend is feeling and make sure they get help while you’re being weary.
I should also have mentioned that I only know them online so it’s not like I can actually see them in person to know if it’s true or how they’re doing in real life
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
I should also have mentioned that I only know them online so it’s not like I can actually see them in person to know if it’s true or how they’re doing in real life
Oh yeah that makes it more complicated, are you friends with anyone who knows them irl so that you could ask them?
Anonymous #1
Oh yeah that makes it more complicated, are you friends with anyone who knows them irl so that you could ask them?
Only one other person but they don’t talk often anymore but I always get so confused. They will join calls together and play games with each other online but apparently the other guy has a new friendship group. So I’m not really sure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (705)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (888)
42.71%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads