Imamess18
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey, I wanted some advice, do you think it's better to do aviation and management course or modern languages at uni? ( I am passionate about learning languages although im not sure if it will be helpful and not want to go into business path.. any alternative?)

Currently I'm finishing BETC Level 3 in travel and tourism, my tutor suggested considering uni due to the current situation. I want to be a cabin crew member and unsure what to do when I finish college. Please help
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm doing a languages degree atm, and honestly, there are so many way in which it can be helpful in later life! Most if not all airlines will do training courses for cabin crew, but learning a new language or two will help you to communicate with some of the people you're working with, as well as making travel to those countries more rewarding! I may be biased, of course, but you really can't go far wrong with a languages degree (as long as you don't want to become a scientist or something with a different academic focus!)
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The travel industry is going down the pan and it will take years for it to recover. Avoid this as a potential career-path.
Honestly? Go to College and get yourself some A Levels. That BTEC will not get you anywhere meaningful.
Imamess18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by redmeercat)
I'm doing a languages degree atm, and honestly, there are so many way in which it can be helpful in later life! Most if not all airlines will do training courses for cabin crew, but learning a new language or two will help you to communicate with some of the people you're working with, as well as making travel to those countries more rewarding! I may be biased, of course, but you really can't go far wrong with a languages degree (as long as you don't want to become a scientist or something with a different academic focus!)
Yh I already know two languages (Italian and Punjabi cos i was born in Italy and Punjabi coz that’s what my parents speak) which uni do u think is good? Where u don’t have to stay long e.g 5 years for a degree which one are u currently attending would u say its good?

Thank you for your reply
Imamess18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by McGinger)
The travel industry is going down the pan and it will take years for it to recover. Avoid this as a potential career-path.
Honestly? Go to College and get yourself some A Levels. That BTEC will not get you anywhere meaningful.
That’s why I’m uncertain on what to do now if i get a degree in modern language I don’t know what to do as a job..any advice? I just wanna do something related to cabin crew but I’m considering other options

Thanks for replying
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Imamess18)
Yh I already know two languages (Italian and Punjabi cos i was born in Italy and Punjabi coz that’s what my parents speak) which uni do u think is good? Where u don’t have to stay long e.g 5 years for a degree which one are u currently attending would u say its good?

Thank you for your reply
In the UK most languages degrees are 4 years... if you study French then there's the University of London Institute in Paris which is 3 years (because there's no year abroad) but I don't know of any other 3 year courses. Most will also require a Btec or an A level in at least one 1 one the languages you want to study at uni, so you'd probably have to do a foundation year or do an A level in a language if you don't have one already.
I'm at Cambridge so you probably wouldn't want to come here if you're not sure about whether you want to go to uni at all... it's kinda intense, although I love it! You could think about a combined degree - travel and tourism with a modern language, or something!
https://digital.ucas.com/coursedispl...nd%20languages
Last edited by redmeercat; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (631)
33.58%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (791)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (373)
19.85%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (84)
4.47%

Watched Threads