aiwilo97
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello!

I'm currently in Year 11 and about to apply for sixth form. I'm going to take Maths, Further Maths and Polish (an extra because it's my first language).
However, I'm struggling to choose between taking French or taking Chemistry for my last option because I really enjoy both. It won't really matter which one I'll do (already checked the university requirements) but I've heard that it's very hard to achieve good grades in French because of the level of fluency you need to be at.

I would be very grateful for any help/views/insight! Would an A/A* in Chemistry be more 'accessible' than in French?
PhayX
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,
when considering a-levels, keep two things in mind - your future aspirations and the subjects that you enjoy most, the second being the more important.. What are your reasons behind choosing your a levels? What do you plan to do after sixth form?
bex6976
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by aiwilo97)
Hello!

I'm currently in YHear 11 and about to apply for sixth form. I'm going to take Maths, Further Maths and Polish (an extra because it's my first language).
However, I'm struggling to choose between taking French or taking Chemistry for my last option because I really enjoy both. It won't really matter which one I'll do (already checked the university requirements) but I've heard that it's very hard to achieve good grades in French because of the level of fluency you need to be at.

I would be very grateful for any help/views/insight! Would an A/A* in Chemistry be more 'accessible' than in French?
Hi,
I currently do chemistry, and that is only because i want to do veterinary medicine at uni so i have to take it. It is very difficult and everyone in my class is doing it because they have to or they are incredibly good at it and love it - so I would only be taking chemistry if you know you are good at it, enjoy it a lot or have to do it due to a university course.
PhayX
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,
As I too am a student currently studying A-level Chemistry, I agree that it is a handful however as the academic year has just started don't let that put you off. If, however, you really do feel that Chemistry is not the subject for you, then I would suggest to drop it, perhaps take it up with another science e.g. biology or physics as you wish to study veterinary medicine. Also, with regards to an A-level in French, I would say that if you really enjoy it and want to do it, then go for it as long as it does not compromise your main subjects. (My sister studied a degree in medicine with A-levels in Biology, Chemistry, French, Spanish and Gujrati and she greatly enjoyed them - chemistry a little later than the others ) The most important thing is to enjoy the subjects you are taking.

Hope this helps
aiwilo97
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhayX)
Hi,
when considering a-levels, keep two things in mind - your future aspirations and the subjects that you enjoy most, the second being the more important.. What are your reasons behind choosing your a levels? What do you plan to do after sixth form?
After sixth form I'll study either Computer Science or Economics/Finance, which is why I'll be taking Maths and Further Maths. Chemistry and French are the subjects I enjoy most apart from Maths, which is the reason for which I'm deciding between the two.
Batchystudies
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Chemistry
DoNotMove
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello!

I'm currently in Year 11 and about to apply for sixth form. I'm going to take Maths, Further Maths and Polish (an extra because it's my first language).

If you want to go to uni, and you take French, your only real options are Languages or Maths. If you take Chemistry, you can take Languages, Maths, Chemistry and a few other other science-based subjects. (you could also take Computer Science but I figured seeing as you didn't mention it, that you don't want to). Chemistry will give you more options when you leave sixth form, but I encourage you to take French if you prefer it.
aiwilo97
Rep:
?
(Original post by bex6976)
Hi,
I currently do chemistry, and that is only because i want to do veterinary medicine at uni so i have to take it. It is very difficult and everyone in my class is doing it because they have to or they are incredibly good at it and love it - so I would only be taking chemistry if you know you are good at it, enjoy it a lot or have to do it due to a university course.
Thank you for the response, I will definitely keep it in mind. It isn't a requirement for the course I want to take in university but I do think it is quite useful. My grades are alright in it but my only worry is that I've heard it's very, very difficult as you mentioned, which is why I'm not completely sure if it will be the right choice.

(Original post by PhayX)
Hi,
As I too am a student currently studying A-level Chemistry, I agree that it is a handful however as the academic year has just started don't let that put you off. If, however, you really do feel that Chemistry is not the subject for you, then I would suggest to drop it, perhaps take it up with another science e.g. biology or physics as you wish to study veterinary medicine. Also, with regards to an A-level in French, I would say that if you really enjoy it and want to do it, then go for it as long as it does not compromise your main subjects. (My sister studied a degree in medicine with A-levels in Biology, Chemistry, French, Spanish and Gujrati and she greatly enjoyed them - chemistry a little later than the others ) The most important thing is to enjoy the subjects you are taking.

Hope this helps
Thank you for the response! I'll keep it in mind. For me taking either subject won't really matter since neither are required for the university courses I'd like to apply for (only Maths is needed) so we will see if I made the right choice next year
aiwilo97
Rep:
?
(Original post by DoNotMove)
If you want to go to uni, and you take French, your only real options are Languages or Maths. If you take Chemistry, you can take Languages, Maths, Chemistry and a few other other science-based subjects. (you could also take Computer Science but I figured seeing as you didn't mention it, that you don't want to). Chemistry will give you more options when you leave sixth form, but I encourage you to take French if you prefer it.
Unfortunately my school doesn't offer Computer Science at A-Level so I won't be able to take it (I prefer the way they teach there which is why I'll stay anyway), but that is why I'm not completely sure at which one to choose - I enjoy French but the options for later on are more limited compared with Chemistry. I will keep it this in mind though, thank you!
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DoNotMove)
Not necessarily. You can't study French at university without an A level in it. Other languages that are uncommon at A level, sure; but, not French.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello!

I'm not a native speaker of either French or Spanish. I struggled a lot with French at school. Regardless, I got 100% for every single piece of writing and speaking assignment/assessment during my equivalent of A level studies. I actually always beat the native speakers too.

In other words, it's a myth that an A or A* in an MFL A level is impossible unless you're a native speaker because the A level itself is meant for English speakers learning the foreign language as their second or third etc language. You do not need to be fluent/native to get top marks.

One thing I loved about my languages was that I never had to study for any of my exams because I continuously learned vocabulary and grammar throughout the year in my classes. There weren't any specific details like there are for Chemistry or Biology. Sure, you might study about politics in the French-speaking world, including the promulgation of disinformation during key French elections etc, but that's not a detail you need to 'memorise' or cram. It's passive knowledge you acquire.

If you enjoy French and you're motivated to study, there is absolutely no reason why you can't get an A*. All students that I've tutored in the past several years have gotten between 85% - 100% on their writing/speaking assessments and none of them were native speakers. A close friend of mine teaches A level French and Spanish and last year both his classes had 100% A or A* attainment. Only one student was a native Spanish speaker and even then he was somewhat illiterate... :facepalm:

That said, do whichever you will enjoy more because that'll motivate you to get the best grades.
Last edited by Quick-use; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (123)
28.41%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.16%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (85)
19.63%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.24%
No - I live at home during term anyway (128)
29.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed