Mavs04
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Some people are saying that a carbonate ion has the formula CO3^2-, but some people say it’s only got a single -ve charge.
Can someone please tell me which one is right, thanks!
golgiapparatus31
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
CO3^2- is the correct one
Mavs04
Rep:
?
(Original post by golgiapparatus31)
CO3^2- is the correct one
Thanks!
Please cd u explain why cos if carbon has 4e- in its outer shell already, and it gains 1 from each covalent bond of the 3 oxygens - then I don’t get why it needs to gain 2 more electrons from elsewhere, when it only needs one more?
golgiapparatus31
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mavs04)
Thanks!
Please cd u explain why cos if carbon has 4e- in its outer shell already, and it gains 1 from each covalent bond of the 3 oxygens - then I don’t get why it needs to gain 2 more electrons from elsewhere, when it only needs one more?
See structure of carbonate ion
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/in...nd-carbonates/

The structure can be thought of as an oxygen atom forming a double bond to a carbon atom, and 2 oxygen atoms with a negative charge (O-) forming a single bond to the carbon atom
Mavs04
Rep:
?
(Original post by golgiapparatus31)
See structure of carbonate ion
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/in...nd-carbonates/

The structure can be thought of as an oxygen atom forming a double bond to a carbon atom, and 2 oxygen atoms with a negative charge (O-) forming a single bond to the carbon atom
Ahhh ok that makes sense thanks
golgiapparatus31
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mavs04)
Thanks!
This logic fails because oxygen needs to form double bonds to gain an octet configuration, so each oxygen atom needs to contribute 2 electrons to carbon. So 3 oxygen atoms would contribute 6, which is 2 too much. That's where the extra electrons come in. 2 oxygen atoms gain 1 electron each, so now they only need for form a single bond, hence the 3 oxygens contribute 4 electrons to the carbon which works out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (54)
29.51%
No - I have already returned home (23)
12.57%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (42)
22.95%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (16)
8.74%
No - I live at home during term anyway (48)
26.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise