katie2675
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
It's time to apply to sixth form and I can't decide what A levels to do.
I'm definitely doing geography and I will probably do this at uni too which may influence your answer.

I'm considering:
Sociology
Maths
Politics
Economics
Psychology

I don't know what would be best along with geography (although I'm thinking economics is probably quite up there?) and it's hard to choose based on what I'll enjoy the most as I've only done one off the list before. Please tell me what you think fits well and also if you took any could you tell me what they're like at a level?

Thanks
ashtolga23
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I do psychology and I really love it, but that's just personal preference. I think it's fairly easy, and considered pretty "soft", but it's enjoyable. If you have any psychology related questions please feel free to ask them; I do AQA if that's of any use. I dropped economics after one lesson so unfortunately can't help you there haha! I wish I'd taken politics as a 4th instead as it's very relevant to the real world, so maybe take a look at the syllabus and see if it looks appealing to you; I also think sociology and English language would've been good but my school don't offer either of those lol. Definitely check the topics in each course, and perhaps you could even watch some YouTube revision videos if you can find them, to see if they're what you expected.

If you're interested in the human side of politics then I would imagine politics and economics both work well, as well as sociology, however the latter is sometimes a bit less respected in my personal experience if you care about that. I personally don't think there should be much weight given to that, because each subject has its place and you should do what makes you happy, but you may feel differently. Maths is respectable but notoriously difficult, so I'd be tempted to steer clear of it unless you have an avid interest.

Sorry that this isn't necessarily the clearest but it's difficult to advise with not knowing you too well. Have you checked the requirements for different courses/careers you may be thinking of? As far as I know there are no subject-specific requirements for geography, but you may want to browse just to guarantee that you won't be left with a shock when it comes to applying in Year 13.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by katie2675)
It's time to apply to sixth form and I can't decide what A levels to do.
I'm definitely doing geography and I will probably do this at uni too which may influence your answer.

I'm considering:
Sociology
Maths
Politics
Economics
Psychology

I don't know what would be best along with geography (although I'm thinking economics is probably quite up there?) and it's hard to choose based on what I'll enjoy the most as I've only done one off the list before. Please tell me what you think fits well and also if you took any could you tell me what they're like at a level?

Thanks
It doesn't matter at all what your combination is. As long as you do any subjects specifically required for the degree you apply for, you're good. Just make sure to do the ones you'll enjoy the most because they'll get you the best grades. :hat2:
katie2675
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ashtolga23)
I do psychology and I really love it, but that's just personal preference. I think it's fairly easy, and considered pretty "soft", but it's enjoyable. If you have any psychology related questions please feel free to ask them; I do AQA if that's of any use. I dropped economics after one lesson so unfortunately can't help you there haha! I wish I'd taken politics as a 4th instead as it's very relevant to the real world, so maybe take a look at the syllabus and see if it looks appealing to you; I also think sociology and English language would've been good but my school don't offer either of those lol. Definitely check the topics in each course, and perhaps you could even watch some YouTube revision videos if you can find them, to see if they're what you expected.

If you're interested in the human side of politics then I would imagine politics and economics both work well, as well as sociology, however the latter is sometimes a bit less respected in my personal experience if you care about that. I personally don't think there should be much weight given to that, because each subject has its place and you should do what makes you happy, but you may feel differently. Maths is respectable but notoriously difficult, so I'd be tempted to steer clear of it unless you have an avid interest.

Sorry that this isn't necessarily the clearest but it's difficult to advise with not knowing you too well. Have you checked the requirements for different courses/careers you may be thinking of? As far as I know there are no subject-specific requirements for geography, but you may want to browse just to guarantee that you won't be left with a shock when it comes to applying in Year 13.
thank you for replying! i decided against maths because although i enjoy it, i think i'd struggle too much at a level so i wouldn't find it as fun anymore. i ended up applying for geography, economics and sociology and then if my grades are good enough i'm going to do politics too! i did check before posting about the subject requirements and there isn't any, most places don't even require geography lol.
katie2675
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
It doesn't matter at all what your combination is. As long as you do any subjects specifically required for the degree you apply for, you're good. Just make sure to do the ones you'll enjoy the most because they'll get you the best grades. :hat2:
thanks for your reply. i'd already checked what the requirements were and there aren't any, so i knew i was free to choose. as i have only done maths and geography before i was asking other opinions, it's hard to judge whether i like a subject when i've never studied it lol but it's okay now i've applied for geography, economics and sociology and then politics if i do a 4th
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
How to choose your A level subjects : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-l...-your-subjects
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (622)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (776)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.74%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads