IzobelloJam
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I've reached a block in terms of EPQ ideas. I'm taking A-Level Geography, English Lang and History. I have no idea what I want to do in terms of uni degree topics etc

I'm interested in human behaviours and I also songwrite in my spare time. I considered using my songwriting as an artefact but I don't know how I'd do that really?
Instead I thought it might be cool to do an English-lit kind of EPQ but using lyrics instead. Again, I'm not sure how I'd do this but it'd be nice to be able to do some Englishy analysis.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance to anyone who contributes you will be a literal godsend!! )
Last edited by IzobelloJam; 2 months ago
MattW02
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I would do it on whatever you want to do next year (assuming you want to go to uni). I personally don’t know much about using artefacts etc but I would recommend writing the 5000 word essay because while it may seem like more, more people do it so it’s easier to find out how to get top marks in it.

In terms of topic, if I were to have done my EPQ on something for English, I would have done some sort of a comparison between two pieces of literature. E.g. The Great Gatsby and A Streetcar Named desire- rise of the new America, love etc. Could you perhaps do this with poetry as the lyrics? Sorry I dont know what you could do with the lyrics

History is great for an EPQ because there are just so many titles out there. E.g. say you like the idea of writing it on something to do with NAZI Germany you could write it on how the NAZIs maintained power- through terror, consent of the German people or propaganda and brainwashing. Any historical debate/ uncertainty can have an EPQ written on it provided that it isn’t covered in one of your a levels.

I don’t do Geography so I don’t know what you would write it on there. I guess you could do it on climate change- assessing what needs to be done to stop it or something. Alternatively, you could do it on poverty or something to do with urbanisation?

Sorry after writing this i am not sure how relevant it is to you as its not rlly on the lyrics bit but I hope it helps!
alias12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
History is an obvious choice but there is no point in doing this if the question could be used as your history coursework - because you won't be able to use the same or a similar question.

English-style EPQs are great - I personally did a lit based EPQ looking at the influence of Christian morality on Shakespeare. Looking at the influence of a factor on lyrics of a particular artist could be a great way to look at things - for example the impact of war on lyrics by X artist(s) in the time period Y-Z. Doing factors like war could also bring in some history whilst still keeping it focused on an interest from outside of your A Levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (154)
60.39%
I don't have everything I need (101)
39.61%

Watched Threads