The Student Room Group

ELAT

My ELAT is in 5 days and I'm trying to revise. However, I'm a little confused about the sample answers. The question is to compare and contrast in ways that seem interesting TO YOU yet there seems to be no personal response? Are you allowed to use phrases like "I find it interesting how..."? Also, how long should your essays be?
Thanks so much!
Original post by um.libster
My ELAT is in 5 days and I'm trying to revise. However, I'm a little confused about the sample answers. The question is to compare and contrast in ways that seem interesting TO YOU yet there seems to be no personal response? Are you allowed to use phrases like "I find it interesting how..."? Also, how long should your essays be?
Thanks so much!

Hiya!! Okay, so I don’t know, but my guess would be to never use ‘I’ in an essay. Instead of ‘I find it interesting’, I would go for ‘It is interesting how’ - it’s a very subtle change, and it’s just to be on the safe side!!

As for how long it should be, the answer is: there is no answer!
It’s good to plan for roughly 30 minutes, and write for 1 hour. So however much you can write well in 1 hour would be good!

A general structure that most successful Oxford applicants suggest is:
Intro
Point of comparison 1
Point of comparison 2
Point of comparison 3
Conclusion

I’m in the same boat as you, but I’ve done a bit of research and this is my understanding. I’m wishing you all the luck in the world, please try not to stress, it won’t help in the long run xx
Reply 2
Original post by Alice Clara
Hiya!! Okay, so I don’t know, but my guess would be to never use ‘I’ in an essay. Instead of ‘I find it interesting’, I would go for ‘It is interesting how’ - it’s a very subtle change, and it’s just to be on the safe side!!

As for how long it should be, the answer is: there is no answer!
It’s good to plan for roughly 30 minutes, and write for 1 hour. So however much you can write well in 1 hour would be good!

A general structure that most successful Oxford applicants suggest is:
Intro
Point of comparison 1
Point of comparison 2
Point of comparison 3
Conclusion

I’m in the same boat as you, but I’ve done a bit of research and this is my understanding. I’m wishing you all the luck in the world, please try not to stress, it won’t help in the long run xx

Hii, thank you so much, you're a lifesaver! Good luck with your application xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending