The Student Room Group

Good at maths within physics, although not as so good at the subject maths alone

Deleted
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Owen235
I’m currently taking higher physics and engineering In which I really enjoy the mathematical aspects of both subjects and which I’m good at (so far throughout S5 In physics I’ve gotten around full marks for most of the test while most people within my year get C’s or B’s and for engineering science which also includes a lot of maths, I usually get around 90%) However for the subject maths alone, I usually get around 70% in which I usually get B’s but also occasionally A’s. my problem is that in contrast to physics, I don’t know wether if it’s specific to my teacher or not but we are taught maths as a bunch of instructions that you need to memorise; which Is easy to memorise and apply to problems but however when it comes to tests my school tends to include questions that involve problem solving or which are out of the normal format that we got taught which results in me not knowing what to do as in general for the majority of maths I don’t even know what I’m doing within the context of the question. Is this problem specific to my school or is it a common problem?

Hi there :hi:
I've put your thread into maths, science and technology academic help for you so you can get a few more responses :yy:
:hugs: Happy Halloween!
Cheese

Quick Reply

Latest