gafmr
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone, I have applied to Merton College. It's absolutely beautiful and great tutors, but, I was watching a video about stereotypes in oxford and it said "Merton is where fun goes to die". Does anyone know if that’s the case?
Franco28
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by gafmr)
Hi everyone, I have applied to Merton College. It's absolutely beautiful and great tutors, but, I was watching a video about stereotypes in oxford and it said "Merton is where fun goes to die". Does anyone know if that’s the case?
I read Merton College explotes thei students a lot. I was reading this comment in “the best colleges in oxford for Law”. Im not sure about that, I was thinking for Merton but Magdalen College looks better for me. And yes Merton looks so beautiful. Just think that rumours can be true or not, we dont know that. And we will have to work hard on university anyways, if you still are unsure try and search up info about it as well as watch youtube videos.
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by gafmr)
Tbh just depends on year group and they have more bops than most. Try not to worry too much lots of people end up at a different college to the one they picked so do not too invested in one college. Plus once you are at Oxford you will make friends with people at many different colleges through your course and societies so your social life is not reliant on your home college if you find it wanting.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think it self-perpetuates a little, in that you get a handful of people who are only interested in working and they are maybe more likely to apply to Merton.

But for the remaining 90% of the student body, the bar is active, lots of JCR events, and a fun place to be. Often when you first start 'breaking the reputation' is a whole bonding thing. The college authority is actually more relaxed than many, because they can trust the student body to get good results without too much intervention.

And remember that a good 25-30% will most likely have been pooled there, so can't all be self-selected workaholics.

I wouldn't worry about this at all. Great college.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (671)
33.67%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (846)
42.45%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.32%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.57%

Watched Threads