The Student Room Group

Nursing and self harm scars

I’m currently 16 doing A levels and I have been considering doing an apprenticeship for either nursing or a healthcare assistant in the future. However, I have very obvious self harm scars on both arms with many of them having fat visible at the time leaving bad scars that will never go away. I know that to work in the nhs, I would need to have short sleeves. Would this be possible for me or do I just need to drop the dream as it would be too much for patients to see. Thanks for any advice you might have.
Reply 1
It is illegal to discriminate anyone on appearance or scars. I don't really know the answer to your question so I did some research and I found this website:
http://nshn.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=78189.0
It outlines some people expressing the same worries you have and other people relating their experiences. I think this will put you at ease and even advise you going into this profession. However, I do not know you and you may react differently so if I am being presumptuous I apologise.

The main theme is that most people do not acknowledge the scars or if they do do not say anything.

I wish you all the best and hope you do not give up on your dream because your scars are a sign of strength not weakness. xxx
Reply 2
Original post by Em395
It is illegal to discriminate anyone on appearance or scars. I don't really know the answer to your question so I did some research and I found this website:
http://nshn.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=78189.0
It outlines some people expressing the same worries you have and other people relating their experiences. I think this will put you at ease and even advise you going into this profession. However, I do not know you and you may react differently so if I am being presumptuous I apologise.

The main theme is that most people do not acknowledge the scars or if they do do not say anything.

I wish you all the best and hope you do not give up on your dream because your scars are a sign of strength not weakness. xxx

Thank you very much for the reply, I have done a bit of research however I didn’t find much so thanks for telling me this. It’s something that I really want to do so it will be very sad if I can’t because of what i’ve been through. xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending