domm1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all,

Last summer I received my GCSE results, and was slightly disappointed to say the least. Annoying as I was part of the 'COVID year', I never actually got the chance to sit my formal exams, and was just predicted the exact equivalent of what I got in my Mocks in March.

So I achieved 988887665, with my 6's being in English Language and English Literature, and my 5 being in French.

I'm aspiring to read Maths at a top university (i.e. Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, etc.) and am taking Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History at A-Level (aiming for A*A*A*A respectively), but feel my GCSEs are going to ruin my application.

Would you guys argue it'd be a good idea for me to resit English Lang & Lit and French (however I don't actually know when I would)?
Miss_August
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, I was also part of the "Covid year" and got my results in the summer.
Personally, I think that you have a really strong set of results, and if you have got enough to do your chosen alevels (which you have) I wouldn't worry too much.

I haven't looked myself but most courses (there are a few exceptions) only require a grade 6 maths and English to get onto the course, so I would potentially look on the course qualifications to check. As for French, unless you are wanting to pursue a career in French I honestly wouldn't worry, as many people do not even take a language GCSE

Hope that helped
Interea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Most maths unis don't really care (Oxford and I want to say maybe Imperial are the only ones that really look at them in much significance at all), so you will be absolutely fine provided you meet the English language requirement, which I've not seen set above a 6 anyway.
sarah_t123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
aqa English language exam is on Monday btw
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nah you did well why bother?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise