domm1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all,

Last summer I received my GCSE results, and was slightly disappointed to say the least. Annoying as I was part of the 'COVID year', I never actually got the chance to sit my formal exams, and was just predicted the exact equivalent of what I got in my Mocks in March.

So I achieved 988887665, with my 6's being in English Language and English Literature, and my 5 being in French.

I'm aspiring to read Maths at a top university (i.e. Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, etc.) and am taking Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History at A-Level (aiming for A*A*A*A respectively), but feel my GCSEs are going to ruin my application.

Would you guys argue it'd be a good idea for me to resit English Lang & Lit and French (however I don't actually know when I would)?
iinkhat
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wow! I'd say those grades are pretty good! Or at least you did far better than I did in High School haha.

In my personal opinion, I don't think it's worth retaking your GCSEs. If you have enough GCSEs to get into your college of choice (or the Sixth Form), then I would continue with that. After secondary education, nobody really looks at what GCSEs you got (unless you failed English or Maths, which you didnt).

Edit: Plus, you mentioned that the grades you were slightly lower in (and they aren't bad, again, thats mostly what I got), aren't related to Maths - the course you want to get into - so I can't see that affecting it anyway.

Granted, I could be wrong, but thats just my two cents.
Last edited by iinkhat; 4 weeks ago
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It wont make enough difference to make it worth resitting them.
If you meet the basic GCSE Requirements (ie. typically Maths and English) that's enough.

Dont worry about the others - Unis are far more interested in your A level grades and Personal Statement than random GCSE grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads