Advice on how to get top marks for GCSEs

Watch
please help me x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

I am a year 10 who has just started their GCSE courses. I am really nervous and I need help on how to get top marks on GCSEs.
I am studying citizenship, combined science, computer science, English language & literature, maths, psychology and Spanish. My predicted grades are 7 for both english language & literature then 6 for the other subjects.
I would like to know study habits and duration of them, what books are recommended and question styles (so I know how much to write and what is required in them answers.)

This would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Eliza.
kwak_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Please, for the love of God, PLEASE STUDY.

DO NOT leave it to the last minute, you will enter year 11 and want to cry if you don't. Even if it's just something small just do it TT
You will need to do your personal statement soon, gather up experience and participate in things like clubs and extracurricular activities, stuff that can sparkle on that piece of paper. Even things outside of school will do, clubs or volunteering etc.
For studying, it depends on what suits you. Personally, I found I couldn't stick to a time table so I would just jot down everything I had to do for that day and cross it off as I went.
If you have GCSE pod, use it. Figure out what kind of learner you are, do you learn better with pictures, sounds, writing and whatnot.
Also, very importantly, you have to use lots of past papers. They will be your sword and shield for the tests as you will be used to the questions, don't be afraid to ask your teachers to mark your work. GOOD LUCK.
Franco28
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by please help me x)
Hi everyone,

I am a year 10 who has just started their GCSE courses. I am really nervous and I need help on how to get top marks on GCSEs.
I am studying citizenship, combined science, computer science, English language & literature, maths, psychology and Spanish. My predicted grades are 7 for both english language & literature then 6 for the other subjects.
I would like to know study habits and duration of them, what books are recommended and question styles (so I know how much to write and what is required in them answers.)

This would
Are you in higher maths or foundation?
Did you get your predicted grades already? Wow✨
Well, A for both English are really good! If you have done like mocks exams then A its really good! So well done✨ Keep getting As in both English as they are really important for A Levels and University. For all the other subjects, Grade B in all of them its extremely bad. You have to make sure you get the most As as possible, and you getting worried to actually get this is really good!🥺well done, cause i didnt use to worry about them and i regret that. Let’s start with English, which books you reading? I got an A in English Language GCSE (i was getting all the time 3s but I did improve a lot😂). So my tips for English Language is REVISE what im gonna say rn. People are like “there is nothing to revise for Lang” well wrong. It’s important that you know how to answer each questions with the correspondent structure. I really don’t remember which mark questions, but I remember the structure that gave me the A. PEEZERC. Point, Evidence, explanation, zoom in a word, explain, reader feelings (how would this make the reader feel? What point of views would the reader have at the time the book or the source was written?), remember you have to think in feel and imagine towards a reader and also the writer point of view, and C for Context. What is happening at the time? How would this affect how the writer writes about something or a person?. That will give you full marks. I remember this was for the really long questions. For the short questions use PEE which is point, evidence and explain. Also really important, you have to know every single language technique. This is like REALLY IMPORTANT. This is like metaphor, personifícation, repetition,etc... every single all of them. When you zoom in a word (zooming in a word its must, even for literature) always have to say what word is it and why you zooming on it. For example, “Furthermore, the noun “heart” linked to darkness suggest how the writer might be feeling desperate for love and companionship due to his past bad relationships”. Something like that, in this example the word zooming its a “noun” so remember all of them. If you remember all of them now, you will be fine with English Language!. I didnt do Psychology GCSE but I’m doing Psychology A Level, and I’m getting As so hopefully, it’s closely the same. So if you get questions about evaluation (if you do this in GCSE), you have to know the weakness and strength for every single thing. If they ask you to evaluate volunteering sampling for example, you have to say the strengths and weakness of this sample technique in order to get full marks. If they ask you to evaluate for example Compliance, and you have study in lessons about an individual doing an experiment about this, you have to write the individual and the strength and weakness of his experiment to get full marks. So for Psychology just remember strength and weakness for wvery single thing as well as every individual. When it asks you for A01, you have to say the definition of the word. But if its more than 1 mark, they are looking for an example! Always examples, dont forget as you wont get full without the example. For example “Internalisation is when people follow others in order to be right (1). For example, being vegetarian only because a person stated their benefits of leaving meat behind (1)” this answer would give you full marks. Okay, for Spanish (A* student, and A* A Level student) remember all the keywords they give you, always get the best grades you can on every single vocabulary test. The exam its always about holidays and friends and things like that, so remember some words or sentences you will yes or yes use them for example “I travelled to...” “Yo viaje a...”. If its about summer and friends you can always said you travelled somewhere and get marks and the most marks are in the vocabulary so try and use them all appropriately. If in the future you think about doing Spanish A Level you definitely should. We do feminism, how women and men are not paid the same on jobs, we talk about gender violence, about gay couples and adoption, we talk about different dances such as Flamenco and Tango, and also the civil war in spain and how they made illegal abortion. Its super interesting, is not about holidays anymore. For maths, its super important that you get in higher maths, you need to achieve 6 and above. Almost every university wants a 6 in maths, a 5 is not enough. LSE,UCL and more wants a 6 and above in maths. They even tell you to resit maths if you dont have the 6 and above, and the last thing you wants is to do your A Levels and Maths retake. So make sure you get in higher and get above 6, even better a 7. And make sure every single GCSE its 6 and above. 6 its a B, but 5 its a C, the last thing you want is having Cs when sending you UCAS application to university. Thats it! Good luck✨✨ this is so long😂 i hope i helped at least a bit💗 so make sure every gcse its B and above, make sure you in higher maths and get a B and above, keep your english gcse at As, and get as many As you can!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Good luck!
PhoenixRose338
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Franco28)
Are you in higher maths or foundation?
Did you get your predicted grades already? Wow✨
Well, A for both English are really good! If you have done like mocks exams then A its really good! So well done✨ Keep getting As in both English as they are really important for A Levels and University. For all the other subjects, Grade B in all of them its extremely bad. You have to make sure you get the most As as possible, and you getting worried to actually get this is really good!🥺well done, cause i didnt use to worry about them and i regret that. Let’s start with English, which books you reading? I got an A in English Language GCSE (i was getting all the time 3s but I did improve a lot😂). So my tips for English Language is REVISE what im gonna say rn. People are like “there is nothing to revise for Lang” well wrong. It’s important that you know how to answer each questions with the correspondent structure. I really don’t remember which mark questions, but I remember the structure that gave me the A. PEEZERC. Point, Evidence, explanation, zoom in a word, explain, reader feelings (how would this make the reader feel? What point of views would the reader have at the time the book or the source was written?), remember you have to think in feel and imagine towards a reader and also the writer point of view, and C for Context. What is happening at the time? How would this affect how the writer writes about something or a person?. That will give you full marks. I remember this was for the really long questions. For the short questions use PEE which is point, evidence and explain. Also really important, you have to know every single language technique. This is like REALLY IMPORTANT. This is like metaphor, personifícation, repetition,etc... every single all of them. When you zoom in a word (zooming in a word its must, even for literature) always have to say what word is it and why you zooming on it. For example, “Furthermore, the noun “heart” linked to darkness suggest how the writer might be feeling desperate for love and companionship due to his past bad relationships”. Something like that, in this example the word zooming its a “noun” so remember all of them. If you remember all of them now, you will be fine with English Language!. I didnt do Psychology GCSE but I’m doing Psychology A Level, and I’m getting As so hopefully, it’s closely the same. So if you get questions about evaluation (if you do this in GCSE), you have to know the weakness and strength for every single thing. If they ask you to evaluate volunteering sampling for example, you have to say the strengths and weakness of this sample technique in order to get full marks. If they ask you to evaluate for example Compliance, and you have study in lessons about an individual doing an experiment about this, you have to write the individual and the strength and weakness of his experiment to get full marks. So for Psychology just remember strength and weakness for wvery single thing as well as every individual. When it asks you for A01, you have to say the definition of the word. But if its more than 1 mark, they are looking for an example! Always examples, dont forget as you wont get full without the example. For example “Internalisation is when people follow others in order to be right (1). For example, being vegetarian only because a person stated their benefits of leaving meat behind (1)” this answer would give you full marks. Okay, for Spanish (A* student, and A* A Level student) remember all the keywords they give you, always get the best grades you can on every single vocabulary test. The exam its always about holidays and friends and things like that, so remember some words or sentences you will yes or yes use them for example “I travelled to...” “Yo viaje a...”. If its about summer and friends you can always said you travelled somewhere and get marks and the most marks are in the vocabulary so try and use them all appropriately. If in the future you think about doing Spanish A Level you definitely should. We do feminism, how women and men are not paid the same on jobs, we talk about gender violence, about gay couples and adoption, we talk about different dances such as Flamenco and Tango, and also the civil war in spain and how they made illegal abortion. Its super interesting, is not about holidays anymore. For maths, its super important that you get in higher maths, you need to achieve 6 and above. Almost every university wants a 6 in maths, a 5 is not enough. LSE,UCL and more wants a 6 and above in maths. They even tell you to resit maths if you dont have the 6 and above, and the last thing you wants is to do your A Levels and Maths retake. So make sure you get in higher and get above 6, even better a 7. And make sure every single GCSE its 6 and above. 6 its a B, but 5 its a C, the last thing you want is having Cs when sending you UCAS application to university. Thats it! Good luck✨✨ this is so long😂 i hope i helped at least a bit💗 so make sure every gcse its B and above, make sure you in higher maths and get a B and above, keep your english gcse at As, and get as many As you can!
Just a tip: it might me more helpful if you could split your block of text into paragraphs(one for each subject). It will make is easier to read, more organised and less daunting for OP.
fluous
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hi there! I got nearly all 9s, with two 8s and a 7 thrown in for my gcses this year - w/higher maths and triple science (although predicted grades).
Getting top grades is *hard*.

You will need to work hard. The subject in which getting a high grade will be easiest should be maths - make sure you practice a lot and understand why you are answering questions with a method instead of just using it. (problem solving skills are needed for the harder questions that are normally near the end of the papers). If your maths is good, then that can benefit a lot of other subjects

However, English is very much about technique for each individual question and will need quite a lot of effort to build up speed to churn out quality essays in a small amount of time. (e.g. what to write in an introduction, PEE)Also, make sure to use quotations in abundance - for normal PEE paragraphs, there should be around 6 quotations (they don't need to be long)

Computer science is mostly fine - one paper is normally dedicated to theory, and the other is more on algorithmic thinking (it helps if you can code already but only basic knowledge of python is necessary, as normally they just ask for pseudocode in the papers). If you're comfortable with coding already and have good general knowledge on technology in general, then it becomes much easier!

Languages (I did German) I feel like becomes more about thoroughly understanding and being able to use the grammar rather than memorising all the vocab. Reading and listening become quite hard at GCSE, as much unknown vocab will be used on purpose, so its good to be able to develop the ability to infer an answer, even when you don't know exactly what the sentence is saying.

The three sciences have different things to focus on.Biology has so much information, so its mostly about memorising it all, so I recommend you develop a method to help revise material and retain it.
Chemistry contains a lot of memorisation but also some calculations.

Physics is very maths-y so if you get good at maths you'll probably get better at physics as well.

Just try and find what revision techniques work for you and understand what you'll be asked in the exams themselves.

(I'm not sure about citizenship or psychology, since I didn't do them)
isobeln
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by please help me x)
Hi everyone,

This would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Eliza.
disagree w the other ppl coz everyone I know who got predicted grades/ a report before half term were told no one was getting above a 7/ in some cases an 8. I wouldn't worry, you're on the right track. the predicted grades are just like what would you get if you took the gcse tomorrow, you're only 6/7 weeks into the course so really don't worry. if you are particularly worried about one of your subjects, email the teacher and you should find that they will tell you no one was getting above a 7 at this point. hope this helps x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads