R.N
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi i'm currently in yr 11, all these years i've just managed to wing my french tests. But i realise i actually need to start revising now. But the problem is i've never attempted to revise for french before and so I HAVE NO IDEA what to do
What do you guys usually do?
Pichi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I also did Edexcel . Don't worry, you still have a lot of time if you start now.

Listening:
- You could listen to general French media, but it's usually quite fast. I think this guy matches the speed at GCSE a lot more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI4...1MDErkqxb1dPbA
- You have five minutes before the paper starts. Translate all of the French questions as concisely as possible so you know what information you're looking for. When you're actually listening, jot down notes on the side of what information you can hear.
- Learning vocabulary helps with understanding.

Speaking:
- So, at the end of each chapter in the Edexcel textbook is a double-page of vocabulary. Put those all into Quizlet, dividing them for each unit.
- Plan your answers (I put them on physical flashcards). However, do not memorise your answers word-for-word because a) you might forget them in the moment and b) it's impossible to plan an answer to every possible question as they could always invent new ones or variants of a question. Instead, take key words/phrases from your planned answers and mix them into your Quizlet flashcards for each topic so that you can use what you've learned to think on the spot.
- The picture- always get an opinion in. I usually started with the phrases: 'À mon avis, la photo transmet l'importance de...' or 'la photo souligne l'importance de...'. There's also a title on the top of the photocard that gives a hint on what the photo is actually about (e.g. family, so you could say 'À mon avis, la photo souligne l'importance de passer des temps avec la famille.')
- Roleplay- keep answers brief. Try and answer the basic question, and develop it a little, but don't bother waffling or else you'll get cut-off or confused.
For example:
'Bonjour, est-ce qu'il y a un problème?'
'Oui, cette chemise a un trou.'
- The presentation: Try and focus on one specific area of the theme and do your research in-depth. My French teacher was an examiner for a private school one year and she noticed that they were all getting high marks in the presentation because they did this. For example, she said one of them described a specific holiday event in Japan for the theme on celebrations. I did mine on plastic pollution in the sea, referencing an article I'd read on the BBC and using facts, such as mentioning the impacts on marine plants and on us.

Reading:
- Do the translation first before you forget about it.
- You really need to know vocabulary to get through this paper. It was personally the easiest one.

Writing:
- Vocabulary. Definitely know your grammar, because it's so much harder to get away with it when it's written on the paper. Remember accents, conjugations, spellings, genders, subject-verb agreement, etc.
- Use a variety of tenses. Pluperfect and subjunctive are seen as impressive for GCSE level. Also use idioms, but make sure you're doing this correctly.
- A trick I used is to recycle what I said in my speaking exam.

I hope this helps
Last edited by Pichi; 3 weeks ago
Mustafa2021
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by R.N)
Hi i'm currently in yr 11, all these years i've just managed to wing my french tests. But i realise i actually need to start revising now. But the problem is i've never attempted to revise for french before and so I HAVE NO IDEA what to do
What do you guys usually do?
Fall in love.
Find a french guy/girl.
R.N
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Pichi)
I also did Edexcel . Don't worry, you still have a lot of time if you start now.

Listening:
- You could listen to general French media, but it's usually quite fast. I think this guy matches the speed at GCSE a lot more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI4...1MDErkqxb1dPbA
- You have five minutes before the paper starts. Translate all of the French questions as concisely as possible so you know what information you're looking for. When you're actually listening, jot down notes on the side of what information you can hear.
- Learning vocabulary helps with understanding.

Speaking:
- So, at the end of each chapter in the Edexcel textbook is a double-page of vocabulary. Put those all into Quizlet, dividing them for each unit.
- Plan your answers (I put them on physical flashcards). However, do not memorise your answers word-for-word because a) you might forget them in the moment and b) it's impossible to plan an answer to every possible question as they could always invent new ones or variants of a question. Instead, take key words/phrases from your planned answers and mix them into your Quizlet flashcards for each topic so that you can use what you've learned to think on the spot.
- The picture- always get an opinion in. I usually started with the phrases: 'À mon avis, la photo transmet l'importance de...' or 'la photo souligne l'importance de...'. There's also a title on the top of the photocard that gives a hint on what the photo is actually about (e.g. family, so you could say 'À mon avis, la photo souligne l'importance de passer des temps avec la famille.')
- Roleplay- keep answers brief. Try and answer the basic question, and develop it a little, but don't bother waffling or else you'll get cut-off or confused.
For example:
'Bonjour, est-ce qu'il y a un problème?'
'Oui, cette chemise a un trou.'
- The presentation: Try and focus on one specific area of the theme and do your research in-depth. My French teacher was an examiner for a private school one year and she noticed that they were all getting high marks in the presentation because they did this. For example, she said one of them described a specific holiday event in Japan for the theme on celebrations. I did mine on plastic pollution in the sea, referencing an article I'd read on the BBC and using facts, such as mentioning the impacts on marine plants and on us.

Reading:
- Do the translation first before you forget about it.
- You really need to know vocabulary to get through this paper. It was personally the easiest one.

Writing:
- Vocabulary. Definitely know your grammar, because it's so much harder to get away with it when it's written on the paper. Remember accents, conjugations, spellings, genders, subject-verb agreement, etc.
- Use a variety of tenses. Pluperfect and subjunctive are seen as impressive for GCSE level. Also use idioms, but make sure you're doing this correctly.
- A trick I used is to recycle what I said in my speaking exam.

I hope this helps
OMG you are a livesaver! this was really helpful. Thanks for putting in all the time to write this up I think the current year 11 doing french are acctualy quite lucky, as we don't have to do a formal speaking exam (we'll be graded by our participation in lessons)

Do you have any tips for learning vocab and grammer? especially VOCAB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (545)
33.89%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (663)
41.23%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (327)
20.34%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.54%

Watched Threads