The Student Room Group

Shu 2021

Sheffield Hallam University 2021

I am just wondering what order you need to do steps in when applying for student accommodation next year?

I’m not sure if I need to sort my student loan out before or after?? Or when do bursaries etc need to be sorted by?

Also, just wondering what the flexibility will be on whether you have to take the chosen accommodation. As it is very uncertain times, next year for university is quite unpredictable. Moving away for my first university, as much as I wanted to do it, will not be the same if everything is done online.

Any help would be great as I’m aware applications are open 9th November!
Original post by darcyh7

I am just wondering what order you need to do steps in when applying for student accommodation next year?

I’m not sure if I need to sort my student loan out before or after?? Or when do bursaries etc need to be sorted by?

Also, just wondering what the flexibility will be on whether you have to take the chosen accommodation. As it is very uncertain times, next year for university is quite unpredictable. Moving away for my first university, as much as I wanted to do it, will not be the same if everything is done online.

Hi @darcyh7

There is no particular order however if your applying for a maintenance loan to cover for accommodation and you are not sure how much you will be getting then maybe it will be better to apply for the loan first so you know how much your budget will be. Nevertheless it is good to apply to both as soon as possible to avoid delays and disappointment. Most accommodations are aware that plans change and are quiet flexible with that. I've attached a link to our University accommodation site incase you may want to have a look https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/accommodation. I know it is very uncertain times at the moment but we are all hoping things get better for next year.

Please let me know if you have any more questions :smile:
Safaa
Reply 2
Hi Safaa,

Thank you for your reply that’s really helpful!

I can’t actually apply for student finance at the minute so I’m not sure I can do it before... do you know when this usually opens? I want to make sure that I get the accommodation I prefer so I really want to be applying for it from the 9th when it opens.
Original post by darcyh7
Hi Safaa,

Thank you for your reply that’s really helpful!

I can’t actually apply for student finance at the minute so I’m not sure I can do it before... do you know when this usually opens? I want to make sure that I get the accommodation I prefer so I really want to be applying for it from the 9th when it opens.

hi @darcyh7

I believe it usually opens at the start of the year and yes it it better of doing that if you already know which accommodation you want.

Good luck with everything :smile:
Original post by darcyh7

Hey @darcyh7,

I can see our student ambassador has given you some helpful guidance, feel free to ask her anything about student life here! Congrats on your place to study with us next year, did you defer your place as an applicant or have you just applied?

You can apply for accommodation online from week commencing 9 November 2020 as a first year or current (returning) Sheffield Hallam student. We guarantee to offer you a place in halls* and our flexible application process means that you are under no obligation to accept any room offered, will not be asked to pay a deposit or sign a contract until early 2021! Therefore you do not need to decide what you want to do until before the tenancy start date. We are hoping the situation will have improved by then so we can offer our students as much of the typical uni experience as possible, but for now we are still also offering a mix of online and on-campus teaching where possible. You can see how we have currently adapted our halls on this keeping safe on campus page.

For student finance you can start to apply from February until 31 May to make sure you receive it on time.

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

- Ella :h:

Quick Reply

Latest