kosh_ki
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, can anyone explain why the answer is C for the q below here? In particular, how do you know quickly that CaCO3 is the limiting reactant here, and why wouldn't CaCO3 in powder (increased surface area) result in a quicker rate of reaction than when in chip form?
Name:  chem c.png
Views: 11
Size:  111.6 KB

And separately, for the below question for which the answer is D, why is it line 2 for Experiment Q rather than line 3, given that yield should have doubled? I do understand Experiment R but am confused about Q.

Name:  chem d.png
Views: 7
Size:  127.3 KB

Thanks so much.
Attached files
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by kosh_ki)
Hi, can anyone explain why the answer is C for the q below here? In particular, how do you know quickly that CaCO3 is the limiting reactant here, and why wouldn't CaCO3 in powder (increased surface area) result in a quicker rate of reaction than when in chip form?
Name:  chem c.png
Views: 11
Size:  111.6 KB
Your logic is fine in terms of rate of reaction BUT you have to make 8.8g of carbon dioxide. This is 0.2 mol.

Hence, you need at least 0.2 mol of calcium carbonate, so D would not make enough (0.1 mol)
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by kosh_ki)
And separately, for the below question for which the answer is D, why is it line 2 for Experiment Q rather than line 3, given that yield should have doubled? I do understand Experiment R but am confused about Q.

Name:  chem d.png
Views: 7
Size:  127.3 KB

Thanks so much.
Once again you have been caught out by the fact that the limiting reagent changes between the two experiments
Mol of magnesium is constant at 1.2/24 = 0.05 mol

In experiment Q, even though there are 0.04 x 2 = 0.08 mol of sulfuric acid, the maximum hydrogen moles = 0.05, hence line #2

In experiment R, there is 0.04 x 0.5 = 0.02 mol of sulfuric acid and it is now the limiting reagent. Hence line #5

Quite a demanding question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (91)
27.91%
No - I have already returned home (43)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
19.02%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
9.82%
No - I live at home during term anyway (98)
30.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise