Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by aldiscotcheggs)
As the title says, what is Keele uni like? Thanks
Hey there :hi:
I've moved your thread into the keele university forum for you
04MR17, Keele Student Ambassador and Keele Student Ambassador1 might be able to help you out here!
Best wishes,
Cheese :bump:
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Peaceful, isolated, small, caring, community-led, supportive

I can produce many adjectives.
What in particular would you like to know?
aldiscotcheggs
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Peaceful, isolated, small, caring, community-led, supportive

I can produce many adjectives.
What in particular would you like to know?
Thanks Is the university diverse and just in general the feeling of the university. I would also like to know if there much to do around the uni area such as shops etc. Thanks
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks Is the university diverse and just in general the feeling of the university. I would also like to know if there much to do around the uni area such as shops etc. Thanks
Yes, the student body is very diverse. However, wandering around campus during covid-19 won't be a good way to gauge that - so you'll just have to take my word for it. :lol:

But there are lots of very active relious and cultural societies which really demonstrate how diverse the community is there.

On campus there is a very overpriced shop, a coffee & book shop, a newsagents/post office and a bank (santander) as well as a catering outlet ran by the University. There is also the Student's Union and Postgrad association (KPA) which are both very welcoming with a good food selection.

Other things are available in the nearest town (Newcastle under Lyme), but that is a bus ride away from campus. Don't cycle or walk, you will die coming back up the hill. So in that sense campus can be a little isolated but there are certainly quite a few things to do up there.
aldiscotcheggs
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Yes, the student body is very diverse. However, wandering around campus during covid-19 won't be a good way to gauge that - so you'll just have to take my word for it. :lol:

But there are lots of very active relious and cultural societies which really demonstrate how diverse the community is there.

On campus there is a very overpriced shop, a coffee & book shop, a newsagents/post office and a bank (santander) as well as a catering outlet ran by the University. There is also the Student's Union and Postgrad association (KPA) which are both very welcoming with a good food selection.

Other things are available in the nearest town (Newcastle under Lyme), but that is a bus ride away from campus. Don't cycle or walk, you will die coming back up the hill. So in that sense campus can be a little isolated but there are certainly quite a few things to do up there.
Thank you for your detailed answer! Very helpful!
sweetmo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
university is a miserable time, unless you work most of the time at a job otherwise you have to bring a lame bottle of water every day
Keele University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As the title says, what is Keele uni like? Thanks
Hi aldiscotcheggs!

Hopefully the replies in this thread will already have given you some idea of what Keele is like but I thought I'd jump in and add my own experiences as well.

I'm a mature student at Keele, currently in the second year of my PhD. I previously completed my MA at Keele and, prior to that, I'd been in the workplace for 11 years. When I came back to Keele, I was really nervous about whether I'd been away from university for too long to study, and about whether I would fit in.

I can honestly say that my time at Keele has been amazing. I've found the academic staff (I'm in the School of English and Creative Writing) to be supportive, with a welcoming and engaged research culture. I've also enjoyed being part of the student community at Keele - there's a really lovely community within both the postgraduate and undergraduate cohorts, and I've made friends from across both groups and who study lots of different courses.

Keele isn't as big or as lively as some universities - you won't get the nightlife you'd get somewhere like Manchester or Liverpool for example. But the SU and the KPA usually have lots going on (obviously this year has been challenging on that score given Covid-19 but both unions have still worked really hard to create social spaces and events for students), plus there's some nice restaurants and bars in nearby Newcastle and the wider surrounding area. We're also very well connected - you can get trains from Stoke to London, Manchester, Liverpool etc.

If you have any specific questions about Keele, please do ask and we'd be happy to help! I'm sure Keele Student Ambassador and Keele Student Ambassador1 may have further experiences to share - and you can also talk to our students via UniBuddy at https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/chat/

Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (538)
33.96%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (651)
41.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (322)
20.33%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.61%

Watched Threads