Is history a good a level for an economics degree

Watch
x o
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, I’m currently in year 12, just started well over a month ago obviously, I’m currently doing Maths, economics and psychology as my three a levels. However I’ve been thinking of switching psychology for history as I did a bit more research and a lot of people recommend me to take history as I told them I wanted to do an economics degree. They all told me having 2 facilitating subjects is pretty much necessary for a place at a top university and having an essay subject would make me a well rounded applicant. I did history at GCSE and I got a 7(So I’m not entirely new to it.) If I do change to history can someone tell me the difficulty of it compared to GCSE. I may consider myself more of a maths person but I don’t completely hate essay subjects, except English lit.
Advertisement
tjames988
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by x o)
Hi, I’m currently in year 12, just started well over a month ago obviously, I’m currently doing Maths, economics and psychology as my three a levels. However I’ve been thinking of switching psychology for history as I did a bit more research and a lot of people recommend me to take history as I told them I wanted to do an economics degree. They all told me having 2 facilitating subjects is pretty much necessary for a place at a top university and having an essay subject would make me a well rounded applicant. I did history at GCSE and I got a 7(So I’m not entirely new to it.) If I do change to history can someone tell me the difficulty of it compared to GCSE. I may consider myself more of a maths person but I don’t completely hate essay subjects, except English lit.
Yes of course history is good for an economics degree. Yes an essay subject is good, most people in my year had studied something like history/ geography/ politics at A level. Also most universities in first year have an economic history or economic thinkers module which is kind of related to history. But also psychology isn't completely redundant, behavioural economics is more a mix of econ and psychology so don't completely think psychology is a waste of time.

At the end of the day, the subjects universities care about the most are maths then economics, so the third isn't as important, and psychology or history would be fine for an application, but yes true and essay subject would be good but econ a level is fairly essay based anyway
x o
Rep:
?
(Original post by tommy988)
Yes of course history is good for an economics degree. Yes an essay subject is good, most people in my year had studied something like history/ geography/ politics at A level. Also most universities in first year have an economic history or economic thinkers module which is kind of related to history. But also psychology isn't completely redundant, behavioural economics is more a mix of econ and psychology so don't completely think psychology is a waste of time.

At the end of the day, the subjects universities care about the most are maths then economics, so the third isn't as important, and psychology or history would be fine for an application, but yes true and essay subject would be good but econ a level is fairly essay based anyway
That’s true, but I think I’ll change psychology to history just in case. I don’t want to regret it in year 13 when applying to universities, thanks for the advice.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by x o)
That’s true, but I think I’ll change psychology to history just in case. I don’t want to regret it in year 13 when applying to universities, thanks for the advice.
Facilitating subjects don't exist anymore; it's an outdated concept. All subjects are equally viable these days. Oxbridge, LSE, St Andrews, Warwick, etc literally don't care what your third subject is. You won't have a better chance by doing History in place of Psychology.

If you were to email every single university I've listed, they would all say the same. They're not going to be secretly biased against you for doing Psychology.

As far as your subjects are concerned, what matters are 1) you have any required subjects for your chosen degree, and 2) you attain the necessary grades. No more, no less.

Ergo, only do History if you genuinely think it'll be easier to get a higher mark on it. I repeat - universities won't be more impressed by you for doing History instead of Psychology.
x o
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
Facilitating subjects don't exist anymore; it's an outdated concept. All subjects are equally viable these days. Oxbridge, LSE, St Andrews, Warwick, etc literally don't care what your third subject is. You won't have a better chance by doing History in place of Psychology.

If you were to email every single university I've listed, they would all say the same. They're not going to be secretly biased against you for doing Psychology.

As far as your subjects are concerned, what matters are 1) you have any required subjects for your chosen degree, and 2) you attain the necessary grades. No more, no less.

Ergo, only do History if you genuinely think it'll be easier to get a higher mark on it. I repeat - universities won't be more impressed by you for doing History instead of Psychology.
The sixth form I go to, kept on repeating the importance of facilitating subjects. I never knew it wasn’t that important I feel like history would obviously be more challenging than psychology but I still think I can get a good grade in it.
Advertisement
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by x o)
The sixth form I go to, kept on repeating the importance of facilitating subjects. I never knew it wasn’t that important I feel like history would obviously be more challenging than psychology but I still think I can get a good grade in it.
Your sixth form sounds like they need to do their research or they're trying to inflate certain subject numbers by making things up.

Ask the school if they can tell you the previous attainment percentages of both courses. How many got A/A*, B, C etc.

If you're really worried, email the admission teams directly of any/all elite universities. Simply tell them the degree/s you want to apply for and ask if Maths+Econ+Psych would be OK or if Maths+Econ+History would be better. I promise you they'll say it doesn't matter. When you do contact them, keep your email short and to the point.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (617)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (769)
42.04%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (362)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (81)
4.43%

Watched Threads