operant conditioning and the Skinner box (psychology)

Watch
Evxe
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
heyyy, can any one explain the Skinner box to me along side operant conditioning? I have an exam on Monday and I'm so confused.
Plain1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Watch some videos on YouTube. It'll be easier to understand if you can visualise it.
sumayaaa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m in year 12 and i learnt about it like a month ago, this is off the top of my head so don’t 100% trust it. Correct me if i’m wrong but long story short
Operant conditioning is when you learn a behaviour through its consequences and rewards. For example, i revise because I know that if i do, I’ll get good grades and if I don’t revise, then I’ll fail or whatever.
the Skinner box is an experiment that was done to support operant conditioning. It was done by BF skinner and in the experiment, there was a box and in that box, there was a rat and a lever, an electrical grid and a food dispenser.
When the rat bumped onto the lever, it would dispense out food. This was recognised as a reward so the rat would bump into the lever more frequently to get the food.
Next, Skinner replaced the lever response from dispensing food to letting out a electrical shock. Now whenever the lever was pressed, the rat got electrically shocked. This resulted in the rat pressing the lever less as it learnt the consequences of pressing the lever (it would give out a shock).

Hope that clears it up, we’ve only learnt about conditioning in phobias and in general. I don’t know if conditioning comes up in later topics
Make sure to always refer back to the STEM and use the keywords (e.g. consequences, rewards, lever pushing frequency etc)
again, if i’m wrong please do correct me
Evxe
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sumayaaa)
I’m in year 12 and i learnt about it like a month ago, this is off the top of my head so don’t 100% trust it. Correct me if i’m wrong but long story short
Operant conditioning is when you learn a behaviour through its consequences and rewards. For example, i revise because I know that if i do, I’ll get good grades and if I don’t revise, then I’ll fail or whatever.
the Skinner box is an experiment that was done to support operant conditioning. It was done by BF skinner and in the experiment, there was a box and in that box, there was a rat and a lever, an electrical grid and a food dispenser.
When the rat bumped onto the lever, it would dispense out food. This was recognised as a reward so the rat would bump into the lever more frequently to get the food.
Next, Skinner replaced the lever response from dispensing food to letting out a electrical shock. Now whenever the lever was pressed, the rat got electrically shocked. This resulted in the rat pressing the lever less as it learnt the consequences of pressing the lever (it would give out a shock).

Hope that clears it up, we’ve only learnt about conditioning in phobias and in general. I don’t know if conditioning comes up in later topics
Make sure to always refer back to the STEM and use the keywords (e.g. consequences, rewards, lever pushing frequency etc)
again, if i’m wrong please do correct me
thank you so much! I'm in year 12 as well, but was away ill for the lesson on this approach. but your explanation has really helped me
sumayaaa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Evxe)
thank you so much! I'm in year 12 as well, but was away ill for the lesson on this approach. but your explanation has really helped me
anytime!! Just make sure you brush it up a bit and make it sound more formal, good luck on your test ! Also i take AQA psychology so check with your exam board if that’s correct
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (99)
28.53%
No - I have already returned home (45)
12.97%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (67)
19.31%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.09%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.11%

Watched Threads