Making friends at uni and back home?

Watch
Unknown2304
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I’m a 2nd year at uni and having really trouble finding close friends. I had a really toxic flat last year who now I only occasionally speak to the boys but feel thsi is a very aqauintance type friend ships as they never make an effort to talk to me. I had 3 friends from home but they don’t drink (I do) and also my college friends were also toxic and are no interested in being friends regardless of me reaching out. I have one girl on my course who I speak to and one girl on the rugby team with me also who I’m friends with but it’s tends to always be me contacting them. I feel quite lonely as I feel like everyone either has these close friends at uni or at least a big group back home from high school or college and am unsure how to get closer to people atm with covid- I also find talking to/messaging people stressful as I have social anxiety and feel like I’m bugging them. Any advice?
Abzzz57
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Unknown2304)
So I’m a 2nd year at uni and having really trouble finding close friends. I had a really toxic flat last year who now I only occasionally speak to the boys but feel thsi is a very aqauintance type friend ships as they never make an effort to talk to me. I had 3 friends from home but they don’t drink (I do) and also my college friends were also toxic and are no interested in being friends regardless of me reaching out. I have one girl on my course who I speak to and one girl on the rugby team with me also who I’m friends with but it’s tends to always be me contacting them. I feel quite lonely as I feel like everyone either has these close friends at uni or at least a big group back home from high school or college and am unsure how to get closer to people atm with covid- I also find talking to/messaging people stressful as I have social anxiety and feel like I’m bugging them. Any advice?
Hi, I'm sorry your feeling this way! I think it's harder to make friends at the moment because of everything being online and not having the same atmosphere as uni usually has!

Have you tried reaching out to people on your course, maybe message someone and ask them if they understood something you were taught that day (even if you did understand it, it's a good starting place), then carry on the conversation a bit and see how it goes!

Societies are a good starting point as well, even if they are online least you can have online meetings and when they can all go out for a drink you will have people to call..

I think a lot of people are feeling the same at the moment so maybe make the first move and hopefully you will find people in the same boat! Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (671)
33.65%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (847)
42.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.56%

Watched Threads