gracey111.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
How do you structure an English Literature a level ‘to what extent do you agree question’?
I can never get in the top band for to extent questions in both history and English literature. Any tips?
jinyis
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In the introduction, introduce key components you'll talk about in your essay. Then, I usually start with the 'agree' side, and it'll be like a theme, e.g."The Kite Runner exemplifies the dominance that men hold over women and this hegemony is shown to be ingrained in Afghan culture. Hosseini illustrates this through..." And then I'll basically do PEEL for each point/ evidence of men dominating women.
Then I'll do against, however...,
And then in conclusion, just a brief summary of points and I usually include what I think - but I do this discreetly and don't use I, so however, to a larger extent....
Got an A* for Lit and this was the formula I followed on my essays.
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jinyis)
In the introduction, introduce key components you'll talk about in your essay. Then, I usually start with the 'agree' side, and it'll be like a theme, e.g."The Kite Runner exemplifies the dominance that men hold over women and this hegemony is shown to be ingrained in Afghan culture. Hosseini illustrates this through..." And then I'll basically do PEEL for each point/ evidence of men dominating women.
Then I'll do against, however...,
And then in conclusion, just a brief summary of points and I usually include what I think - but I do this discreetly and don't use I, so however, to a larger extent....
Got an A* for Lit and this was the formula I followed on my essays.
Did you get your grade this year?
jinyis
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Tolgash)
Did you get your grade this year?
Yes. I was getting A* throughout the year.
Tolgash
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes. I was getting A* throughout the year.
Same, but I didn't use an initialism like that. My teachers despised those lol.
jinyis
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Same, but I didn't use an initialism like that. My teachers despised those lol.
initialism? Are you referring to PEEL?
Tolgash
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
initialism? Are you referring to PEEL?
Yeah.
jinyis
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah.
lol, how did your teacher 'hate' them? Isn't it the most common way to structure your answers? If you're not doing it GCSE level and expanding your answers? e.g. including authorial methods, perhaps throw in a bit of debate and context.
Tolgash
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
lol, how did your teacher 'hate' them? Isn't it the most common way to structure your answers? If you're not doing it GCSE level and expanding your answers? e.g. including authorial methods, perhaps throw in a bit of debate and context.
They seem rather basic. Even AQA state that they can be limiting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (714)
33.85%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (903)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (399)
18.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.41%

Watched Threads