ellm4e
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
right how on earth do u plan ur budgeting for uni because i’m already stressed out and i won’t even be starting for another year
Abzzz57
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ellm4e)
right how on earth do u plan ur budgeting for uni because i’m already stressed out and i won’t even be starting for another year
Hi, I would split everything up into categories, so things that need to be paid for ie rent, food and bills (if your in halls most of it should be under the same price), things you want i.e Netflix, phone bill, gym membership etc and extra costs so takeaways, nails, pub etc and figure out exactly how much you will have for each category..

I would start looking at recipes and shopping now so you can roughly figure out how much you spend in a week on breakfast lunch and dinner.. and figure out how much additional things you buy, so how often you get a new outfit, hair done, etc!

But you have plenty of time to figure it all out so don't get too stressed!
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't take this as financial advice, but how I normally budget for uni is to do a cash flow forecast of what expenses I will need to pay and when (google this). This shoud make planning a lot easier.

Typical things I would include on there are:

• tuition - if the student loan doesn't cover it
  • rent - need to account for deposits
  • food
  • utilities - if not included e.g. broadband, water, electricity, gas
  • travel costs
  • going out
  • car costs - if applicable - MOT, service, petrol, insurance, road tax, parking permit (if applicable)
  • phone
  • textbooks - I'd try the library when I can to save on buying bad books
  • Stationery - for some reason people like to buy a lot of paperclips
  • laptop costs - if you have one, don't get another one unless you really need to
  • room decor
  • TV licence - soon to be redundant
  • other - including netflix, newspaper subscription, sports, societies, socials, library fines, overdraft fees, books for casual reading

Start off with the presumption that you don't have a part time job, but if you get one, and the uni allows it, forecast the income as well.
Depending on where you're based and how lavish you want to spend your time, you can start off with something as low as £5k to tens of thousands for one year. I'm a bit frugal and like to keep costs low unless it's necessary or I'm meeting someone important. I'd occasionally go on the odd holiday, so I'd save £400-500 for it if it's for 1 week or 3-4 days at a cheap destination
The thing you should never forget is to track each and every one of your expense item, no matter how trivial, because the small items do add up if you keep overlooking it (try it out for one day and you'd see what I mean - ideally a week).
Always try to do comparison shopping where possible, ask if it's necessary to buy, and why you need to spend the money.

Standard budgets have 2-3 columns: one for the name of the cost, another for the item's value, and the total.
Cash flow forecasts have 14: name, each month of the year, total. I prefer the forecast because there's more information in there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (595)
33.96%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (729)
41.61%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (349)
19.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.51%

Watched Threads