Randomstudent11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Is there anything I can carry in the UK that won’t get me arrested? I see all of these beautiful self defence keychains with window breakers, rape alarms and resin punch assists (basically knuckle dusters that are made out of resin and look like cats) and I would love to have them for when I am walking home alone from school as i am a teenage girl and get quite scared. Does anyone know if these are legal to have? Or if not does anyone have any good ways to make myself feel safer? Thanks in advance
Randomstudent11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Does anyone know if any form of self defence keychains (such as window breakers, rape alarms, resin knuckle dusters that look like cats) are legal or not in the uk? I’d really like something to help me feel safer when out and about but it seems as though anything and everything is illegal that I look at! Thanks in advance
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The only thing you can legally carry in the UK is a rape alarm.

You could look at learning some self-defence techniques, but there are things you can do to help yourself, like look more confident, be aware of your surroundings and not distracted by a phone, know places to go (like shops) if you are wary of something.
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Most of the things you mention are offensive weapons, so they would be illegal. A rape alarm is fine because it is purely defensive; you can’t really go and hurt someone with it.
jnpx321
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by tazarooni89)
Most of the things you mention are offensive weapons, so they would be illegal. A rape alarm is fine because it is purely defensive; you can’t really go and hurt someone with it.
Is knife forbidden in UK?
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by jnpx321)
Is knife forbidden in UK?
It is illegal to carry a knife for self-defence in the UK.
navybluemug
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is a taser illegal to carry?
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by navybluemug)
Is a taser illegal to carry?
See post #3.
JKRfan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It is legal to carry offender-ID spray. It marks the assailant and is extremely difficult to remove from skin/ clothing- making it easier for the police to identify/ apprehend them.

If you where to spray the assailant in the eyes, you run the risk of being charged with assault. However, your actions may also be considered to be 'reasonable force'. The same goes for other kinds of aerosols.
Last edited by JKRfan; 3 weeks ago
Old Skool Freak
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Surnia)
The only thing you can legally carry in the UK is a rape alarm.

You could look at learning some self-defence techniques, but there are things you can do to help yourself, like look more confident, be aware of your surroundings and not distracted by a phone, know places to go (like shops) if you are wary of something.
Agreed..

The best form of self defence is common sense.

There are simple things you can do to minimise yourself from being attacked. In addition to the above... try and avoid walking alone (if you can), stick to busy, main routes and keep an eye on the people who are around you (it's a herd mentality, you're far less likely to be targeted if there are several people around... they're also potential witnesses if anything were to happen).

By all means, you can take up a self defence / martial arts class (worth doing for the fitness / confidence benefits alone)... but bear in mind you will need to be seriously training for at least a year to be anywhere near proficient. A lot of people still think they can take on Bruce Lee after one lesson, that false confidence can backfire in a number of ways..

Also, take a reality check. Most of the rapes and serious attacks you hear on the news are comparatively rare. I think guys are more vulnerable to attacks than girls, in general. Unless you live in a really dodgy area, the worst you're likely to get is a random guy trying their luck with you (they normally give up after about a minute, if you're clearly not interested).

EDIT:- I know of at least one guy who carried a knife, purely for self defence purposes (at least that's what he said)... his knife ended up being used against him (and he has the scars to prove it)
Last edited by Old Skool Freak; 3 weeks ago
tbi_zlx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Old Skool Freak)
Agreed..

The best form of self defence is common sense.

There are simple things you can do to minimise yourself from being attacked. In addition to the above... try and avoid walking alone (if you can), stick to busy, main routes and keep an eye on the people who are around you (it's a herd mentality, you're far less likely to be targeted if there are several people around... they're also potential witnesses if anything were to happen).

By all means, you can take up a self defence / martial arts class (worth doing for the fitness / confidence benefits alone)... but bear in mind you will need to be seriously training for at least a year to be anywhere near proficient. A lot of people still think they can take on Bruce Lee after one lesson, that false confidence can backfire in a number of ways..

Also, take a reality check. Most of the rapes and serious attacks you hear on the news are comparatively rare. I think guys are more vulnerable to attacks than girls, in general. Unless you live in a really dodgy area, the worst you're likely to get is a random guy trying their luck with you (they normally give up after about a minute, if you're clearly not interested).

EDIT:- I know of at least one guy who carried a knife, purely for self defence purposes (at least that's what he said)... his knife ended up being used against him (and he has the scars to prove it)
You say common sense but the thing is majority of this gen are lacking of it.
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Learn some self defence from yt

Also just use some common sense

Eg. If ur walking alone at night take a slightly longer but more well lit route. Or mssg someine so they know where you are. Or download the app life360- it's quite good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (533)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (647)
41.24%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (317)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise