Can’t STAND the constant noise in uni halls it’s driving me insane

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
UNI halls is constantly noisy like 24/7 and I mean 24/7. People actually have no respect or empathy for other people I can’t it driving me crazy how much noise there is I can’t sleep because it’s so noisy I’m going insane quite literally like I need to go and see a doctor because I might pull out my own hair because of how much this is affecting me
NonIndigenous
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
UNI halls is constantly noisy like 24/7 and I mean 24/7. People actually have no respect or empathy for other people I can’t it driving me crazy how much noise there is I can’t sleep because it’s so noisy I’m going insane quite literally like I need to go and see a doctor because I might pull out my own hair because of how much this is affecting me
You signed a rental agreement for your uni halls. So did all the other students. Not seeing it myself, I think I'd be correct to assume that there are paragraphs/clauses in there describing what acceptable noise levels are, and at what hours during the day/night.

If your uni halls are not enforcing this and it is causing you severe distress (via sleep deprivation, which is actually quite serious), you would have a good legal case.

Next steps:
- Have a read through your contract, in detail. Know your rights.
- See your GP, describe them the situation, and make sure there is a medical record of it in the system
- Speak to your hall managers, ask them to do something about the noise (it doesn't matter at this stage if they do nothing). This is best done by email, so that there is a record of this too.
- If nothing gets done about the noise, and they don't offer you alternative accommodation that is less noisy, then you should get some free legal help and confront your hall managers in court. I wouldn't know the technicalities of the process because I never had to escalate it this far. By this stage, your prior correspondence and medical records could be used as evidence.

Your contract is with your halls of residence / university. Not other students. It is your uni's responsibility to enforce the regulations, not yours. You don't have to deal with rowdy drunk (or high) students and some of their obnoxious antics if you don't feel like it. I wouldn't blame you. Unless they start headbutting your door at 3am, then you should beat them to death in the corridor with a pillow.

Edit: and get some earplugs. Almost any shared accommodation will be at least slightly noisy. You could even resort to noise-cancelling headphones, playing white-noise during your sleep using one of those phone apps which generate ambient sounds.
Last edited by NonIndigenous; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (714)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (901)
42.78%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (398)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.42%

Watched Threads