Marthaalexanderr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m predicted A*AB and want to study psychology, my other unis I’m applying to are exeter, Bristol, Cardiff and Swansea. Warwick ask for AAB and surrey ask for ABB but might lower it to BBB if I get an A in my epq. I feel like I’m more likely to get an offer from surrey but I prefer the course at Warwick more. Also I think I’d prefer to put Swansea as my insurance and I don’t like surrey enough to be my first choice (unless I don’t get any other offers lol) so maybe it would be a wasted choice, but I’m not sure about putting Warwick as they want higher grades and less likely to give me an offer. I haven’t been to see either but both areas look quite nice. I think surrey is better ranked for psychology but in general Warwick is better. Which do you think I should go for?
Lilllyyyy3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Marthaalexanderr)
I’m predicted A*AB and want to study psychology, my other unis I’m applying to are exeter, Bristol, Cardiff and Swansea. Warwick ask for AAB and surrey ask for ABB but might lower it to BBB if I get an A in my epq. I feel like I’m more likely to get an offer from surrey but I prefer the course at Warwick more. Also I think I’d prefer to put Swansea as my insurance and I don’t like surrey enough to be my first choice (unless I don’t get any other offers lol) so maybe it would be a wasted choice, but I’m not sure about putting Warwick as they want higher grades and less likely to give me an offer. I haven’t been to see either but both areas look quite nice. I think surrey is better ranked for psychology but in general Warwick is better. Which do you think I should go for?
I’m also putting uni of Surrey as my first choice so it’s good to hear your insight on it lol. I think you should choose whatever makes you happier and is obviously realistic and your predicted grades allow you to pick Warwick so go with it also remember there’s always clearing! My sister did go to Swansea and found that it just wasn’t for her, you could find going to Warwick isnt for u and going to Surrey is or vice versa, I hope you get what I mean and I’m not waffling lol
lcc2020
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
pick the one you like more
Marthaalexanderr
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lilllyyyy3)
I’m also putting uni of Surrey as my first choice so it’s good to hear your insight on it lol. I think you should choose whatever makes you happier and is obviously realistic and your predicted grades allow you to pick Warwick so go with it also remember there’s always clearing! My sister did go to Swansea and found that it just wasn’t for her, you could find going to Warwick isnt for u and going to Surrey is or vice versa, I hope you get what I mean and I’m not waffling lol
Yeah I know what you mean haha thank you for the advice x
Swansea University Enquiries
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey Marthaalexanderr :hello:

Have you been to any Virtual Open Days yet? We have one coming up on November 7th which will give you the opportunity to chat to admissions staff, academics, current students and more, all from the comfort of your own home!
If you're struggling to make a decision (understandably - you've chosen some great Uni's!) then an Open Day could offer you the information that you've been missing which will help make your decision.

I hope this helps, if there's anything else I can help with then let me know!

- Mia
sugarpearl05
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Isn’t Bristol requirements A*AA? Can you still apply even though you don’t meet them
Marthaalexanderr
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by sugarpearl05)
Isn’t Bristol requirements A*AA? Can you still apply even though you don’t meet them
I qualify for a contextual offer which is AAB and if not my predicted grades are one below A*AA and I have A in epq so I thought they could give me an aspirational offer possibly? I’m not really expecting an offer tbh but I thought it was worth a try
University of Surrey Student Rep
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there!

It's great to see that you are weighing up your options

I am currently a second year student at Surrey studying Psychology with a Placement Year and I am absolutely loving it. If you have any questions that you would like me to answer about Psychology, I would love to help you!

When it comes to choosing what University is better for you, it is definitely a personal choice and you should consider where you think you would be happiest and gain the most out of your degree. Some pointers of what to consider may be, what the campus is like, support available, facilities available and shops nearby as these are all essential places to giving you a great university experience as well as studying for your degree.

Its definitely a tricky situation trying to come to a decision of which university to go to. I would suggest to consider different factors or facilities that you want a university to have and look into these more, it might help making your decision a little bit easier as you can consider both the pros and cons of the universities you have applied to.

Once again, if you would like some more information about Surrey or Psychology here, I would love to provide this for you!

Becca (2nd Year Psychology Student)
Lilllyyyy3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep)
Hi there!

I am currently a second year student at Surrey studying Psychology with a Placement Year and I am absolutely loving it. If you have any questions that you would like me to answer about Psychology, I would love to help you!

When it comes to choosing what University is better for you, it is definitely a personal choice and you should consider where you think you would be happiest and gain the most out of your degree. Some pointers of what to consider may be, what the campus is like, support available, facilities available and shops nearby as these are all essential places to giving you a great university experience as well as studying for your degree.

Its definitely a tricky situation trying to come to a decision of which university to go to. I would suggest to consider different factors or facilities that you want a university to have and look into these more, it might help making your decision a little bit easier as you can consider both the pros and cons of the universities you have applied to.

Once again, if you would like some more information about Surrey or Psychology here, I would love to provide this for you!

Hiya! I’m thinking of applying for the exact course that you are doing I just haven’t started my personal statement yet, I rlly have no idea where to even start when it comes to that:/ and I would like to know how the course is like, a normal day and the workload ty
Marthaalexanderr
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi there!

Hi thanks for getting back to me, ended up picking Warwick because I preferred the course. They are one of two unis that haven’t gotten back to me maybe I should have picked surrey haha
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hiya! I’m thinking of applying for the exact course that you are doing I just haven’t started my personal statement yet, I rlly have no idea where to even start when it comes to that:/ and I would like to know how the course is like, a normal day and the workload ty
Hi Lilly,

I understand how tricky it is to get started on the personal statement, it took me a while. You will get there in the end, it takes some time and perseverance but all the time you put into it, it'll pay off i'm sure! I felt like whenever I went to write it I hit a blank wall But after some time I finally sat down and put my mind to it, writing down literally anything you can think of that you think would benefit from being on your personal statement. For example, any extra-curricular activities? any hobbies that you have? What interests you about Psychology or what makes you passionate about it. Once you have some prompting information it will be relatively easy to jot them down and form the personal statement. This link may help you even further: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/features/to...onal-statement

As for the course, in first year I had around 13 contact hours a week including lectures and seminars and the rest of the time is down to you to fit in your independent learning such as reading, revising etc. This allowed me to be flexible in my learning style and also enabled me to get a part-time job while studying. There is a lot of independent learning involved and you have more than enough time to do this as well as socializing etc. At first I found the transition from Sixth Form to University very hard as I wasn't used to much independent learning, but I soon got used to it and now I effectively manage my time and workload easily.

Becca
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi thanks for getting back to me, ended up picking Warwick because I preferred the course. They are one of two unis that haven’t gotten back to me maybe I should have picked surrey haha
That's ok Martha I am glad you've come to a decision based on what you prefer and what you think is better for you! I am sure you will love it at Warwick. Some universities do take a little longer to get back to you with offers, but I am sure you will hear back very soon

Becca
Lilllyyyy3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi Lilly,

I understand how tricky it is to get started on the personal statement, it took me a while. You will get there in the end, it takes some time and perseverance but all the time you put into it, it'll pay off i'm sure! I felt like whenever I went to write it I hit a blank wall But after some time I finally sat down and put my mind to it, writing down literally anything you can think of that you think would benefit from being on your personal statement. For example, any extra-curricular activities? any hobbies that you have? What interests you about Psychology or what makes you passionate about it. Once you have some prompting information it will be relatively easy to jot them down and form the personal statement. This link may help you even further: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/features/to...onal-statement

As for the course, in first year I had around 13 contact hours a week including lectures and seminars and the rest of the time is down to you to fit in your independent learning such as reading, revising etc. This allowed me to be flexible in my learning style and also enabled me to get a part-time job while studying. There is a lot of independent learning involved and you have more than enough time to do this as well as socializing etc. At first I found the transition from Sixth Form to University very hard as I wasn't used to much independent learning, but I soon got used to it and now I effectively manage my time and workload easily.

Becca
Ohhhh that’s awesome isn’t this year meant to be your placement year? If so how has it been with the pandemic and such?
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ohhhh that’s awesome isn’t this year meant to be your placement year? If so how has it been with the pandemic and such?
I am currently in my second year, my placement will be next year

At the moment I am searching and applying for placements in Human Resources and hopefully will secure a placement for next year soon!
parmezanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
you're predicted A*AB but worried about getting an offer from Warwick for lower grades? I wouldn't be!

I'm at Warwick now - it was my first choice and Cardiff was my backup. My predicted grades were AAB and that's what I needed from Warwick, and obviously I got an offer for my course, History and Sociology.

Warwick is great, you can look around all the threads to learn more of what it's like (and I can answer any questions you might have! :yep: ). I'd suggest going to Warwick personally - I have looked around Surrey too and although the area is nice, rent for after halls will be expensive, the and area is pretty quiet. Warwick has a couple towns around it as well as the main city of Cov which is an actual city instead of Guildford which doesn't really feel like much.

Go for the higher one I'd suggest if you think you can do it. Ask your teachers about what they honestly think?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (672)
33.65%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (849)
42.51%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.28%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.56%

Watched Threads