CGP or OUP for A-level Biology/chemistry

Watch
maryumkx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Im unsure as to what revision guide is better, the CGP one or the Oxford university press one. I don't like the layout of the OUP one and much rather prefer the CGP but some people say that the OUP one helped them a lot so what one do you think is better? Thanks!
Krambo_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I used the CGP textbook for both Biology and Chemistry but it wasn’t that great. I mean it had all the basic information and content but nothing to really help you get higher than a C grade. What also didn’t help was that the actual exam board text book was also not very good so I heavily relied on my own notes and online resources. I guess CGP is good if you want to make sure you cover every specification point but there is not nearly as much depth in them to get you a decent grade.
maryumkx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Krambo_)
I used the CGP textbook for both Biology and Chemistry but it wasn’t that great. I mean it had all the basic information and content but nothing to really help you get higher than a C grade. What also didn’t help was that the actual exam board text book was also not very good so I heavily relied on my own notes and online resources. I guess CGP is good if you want to make sure you cover every specification point but there is not nearly as much than depth in them to get you a decent grade.
Hi, thanks for the reply! I do many exam questions as well from PMT and Exampro as well as the text book is not enough. But do you think that CGP sometimes misses out information? On the OUP text books I see so much additional information I'm not sure I need to know because the CGP book doesn't contain it and I'm left confused. And the worksheets I receive from school made by OUP are sometimes so confusing because its something knew I never knew I needed to learn. Also if you have any good website could you please share the link to them? Thanks so much again

(And for anyone who needs summary notes, PMT summary notes are amazing in my opinion and you should check them out!)
Krambo_
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I wouldn’t say CGP misses information. The actual CGP textbook has the specification points on the side at the beginning of each section and covers all of them. But the problem is detail. For example it might just touch on something instead of explaining it thoroughly. Although I must say it was a lot more useful for Chemistry than Biology. From what you’re saying about OUP, I would much rather have a revision guide which only covers the basic information (and use online resources) than something which goes above and beyond and ends up confusing me (or maybe not even relating to the spec). So in that case, I’d choose CGP but use alongside other resources.
I found a website called astarbiology particularly useful for Biology. For Chemistry I used chemguide and chemrevise. Also quizlet can be good for key terms.
maryumkx
Rep:
?
Hi, thank you so much for this!
I checked out the website and it looks really good so thanks for the advice!
Krambo_
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by maryumkx)
Hi, thank you so much for this!
I checked out the website and it looks really good so thanks for the advice!
No worries! Best of luck with everything!
Reagan&Roosevelt
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
HI
Reagan&Roosevelt
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi, thanks for the reply! I do many exam questions as well from PMT and Exampro as well as the text book is not enough. But do you think that CGP sometimes misses out information? On the OUP text books I see so much additional information I'm not sure I need to know because the CGP book doesn't contain it and I'm left confused. And the worksheets I receive from school made by OUP are sometimes so confusing because its something knew I never knew I needed to learn. Also if you have any good website could you please share the link to them? Thanks so much again

(And for anyone who needs summary notes, PMT summary notes are amazing in my opinion and you should check them out!)Hi
Hi,
Can I ask how you managed to get hold of the past papers on exampro ?
Reagan&Roosevelt
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

(And for anyone who needs summary notes, PMT summary notes are amazing in my opinion and you should check them out!)
If by chance I could just borrow access to exampro for a few minutes to download some past paper questions on there, that would be much appreciated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads