University GCSE Entry Requirements Question

Watch
Jonathanツ
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I have only achieved a grade 5 in GCSE Mathematics and overall achieved 10 GCSE'S total
Grades: 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7 and a level 2 BTEC Pass

I'm looking at university course entry requirements and under the GCSE requirements something keeps appearing:

min. 5 GCSEs Grades 9 - 6 (A*- B) including Maths (very common)
(We also consider your overall GCSE subject profile) <<<
Does this mean that I still have a chance of getting an offer since I have more qualifications, just at crapper grades? and is the math gonna be an issue?
izzxm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
tbh it won’t really affect you - most unis want atleast 5 gcses (9-5 grades) so you should be fine. However, i think that universities like UCL expect a grade 6 in maths? What are you thinking about studying at uni?
Jonathanツ
Rep:
?
(Original post by izzxm)
tbh it won’t really affect you - most unis want atleast 5 gcses (9-5 grades) so you should be fine. However, i think that universities like UCL expect a grade 6 in maths? What are you thinking about studying at uni?
Something like business and management which I know most universities like Durham and Loughborough like their GCSE's a bit more than the average uni
izzxm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jonathanツ)
Something like business and management which I know most universities like Durham and Loughborough like their GCSE's a bit more than the average uni
Yeah do definitely check on their websites what their requirements are - if they match what you’ve got now then you’re fine and just focus on your A levels to make them as good as you can! I applied to uni a few weeks ago and i was intimidated by the fact that most people who apply to them have amazing gcses, but my teachers reassured me that i’ve met the gcse requirements for the course so i’ll be fine - i’ll find out if that’s actually true if i eventually get any offers aha
Jonathanツ
Rep:
?
(Original post by izzxm)
Yeah do definitely check on their websites what their requirements are - if they match what you’ve got now then you’re fine and just focus on your A levels to make them as good as you can! I applied to uni a few weeks ago and i was intimidated by the fact that most people who apply to them have amazing gcses, but my teachers reassured me that i’ve met the gcse requirements for the course so i’ll be fine - i’ll find out if that’s actually true if i eventually get any offers aha
Good luck and thanks
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you dont meet GCSE requirement it is likely to be a straight rejection. Universities are not flexible over GCSE requirements. However many dont have strict requirements other than English Language and Maths. For business courses some will want a grade 6 in Maths due to the Mathematical content of the course.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I agree that you’re unlikely to be considered for courses where you don’t meet the GCSE Maths requirement, (unless you have a retake pending). In some rare cases they might look at Science subjects being taken at a higher level instead, but I would definitely contact them before applying as potentially you would be wasting a choice.

When they say that your overall GCSE profile is considered, they just mean that they use your GCSE profile as part of their assessment criteria. Having completed more subjects than the minimum won’t really be of benefit, they’ll typically look at your grades from your best 8 subjects or something.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (99)
28.53%
No - I have already returned home (45)
12.97%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (67)
19.31%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.09%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.11%

Watched Threads