The Student Room Group

Mocks in two weeks and haven't revised a thing

Hi
I'm currently a year 11 student and my mocks are approaching in less than a few weeks.

After lockdown ended and we returned back to school this gone term, I thought I would come back with a bang, knowing how hard it had been to self-teach and valuing my education more than ever. And I wanted to work hard, I intended to so badly, especially as I know how crucial this year is, but I haven't. I kept falling asleep in class and falling behind and being really unmotivated. Initially I took it easy on myself, I realised that it would take some time to re-adjust and thats OK, I will soon get back on my feet. Yet I didn't... it was just a permanent thing and I realised that by the third week.

I have felt so depressed and anxious, my mental health was the worst in lockdown and it still is now. I've spoken, to an extent, to my form tutor and I know I'm not the only one, but I seem to be the only one never reaching my deadlines and I know my teachers don't know what I'm dealing with and I just appear to be lazy and disorganised. Also school makes it all the worse since I only have six months til GCSE's and I'm not doing anything at all.

My parents (who also are ethnic) put a lot of pressure on me and mental illness is such a taboo and perceived to be non-existent and just an excuse to be lazy in my culture, so when I can't stay on top of things or find the strength to get out of bed, they are all the more angry. It is so bad, I really can't explain.

I don't actually want to talk about it to anyone so I just made this anonymous account because I needed somewhere to vent.

I hoped to get 8s and 9s even though that is wayyyy beyond my performance,but since I promised to work hard, I believed I could acheive it. My grades are slacking so much, in my recent report I had 4s, 5s and a couple 6s.

Mocks are coming up and I havent had the mental capacity to study, also, home is not a great environment and the library is shut. I just want to give up. All the stress and anxiety has taken its toll on my physical health too. I sleep not enough or too much, I don't eat and anxiety attacks, tense muscles, psychosomatic stomach pain...

Idk what I'm expecting by writing this, just feel so done tbh
Have you tried a timetable? Or writing down things you need to do so you can cross them off? Simple things like drawing a line through a task once you’ve completed it, can feel like a massive weight off your shoulders because you can physically see you’ve completed it.

Another great thing is revision cards. If you’re struggling to revise lots at a time, just write down the key info on a card and you can look at that card right before your exam. It’ll help the information be fresh in your brain before you walk in.

As for your mental health, I would discuss it further with your tutor or school nurse or a trusted teacher. They will help you with the revision methods and how to handle what you’re feeling. I saw my tutor about problems like this when I was sitting my GCSEs and they provided me with extra resources to help me and honestly, it really did help.

Just try your best. As long as you know you’ve tried your best, nobody can fault you. And even if it doesn’t do perfectly, the worse thing that could happen is you retake a few subjects and even then it’s not the end of the world.

You’ll be fine I promise :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest