Best way to enter research career in math after BEng

Watch
Oopont
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone,
Just recently finished BEng in engineering but while doing my third year project realized that I would be willing to continue my academic career doing research in math. Do you have advice what is the best path to take in my condition. What suitable masters courses there are or do I need to take another undergraduate degree?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Oopont)
Hi everyone,
Just recently finished BEng in engineering but while doing my third year project realized that I would be willing to continue my academic career doing research in math. Do you have advice what is the best path to take in my condition. What suitable masters courses there are or do I need to take another undergraduate degree?
You have to work that out yourself. What sort of maths research - there's a lot? You have to narrow it down, and then see if there are Maths Masters degrees that will support the transition between undergrad and the subject area you want to work in. Then you need to ace the course with a great grade. Then the same for PhDs. There isn't really an alternative route, unless you want to get into R&D in engineering.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There are a few maths heavy engineering topics out there such as fluid dynamics and control engineering, so I would consider if you have any interest in those.

I'd say set your expectations towards an academic career which is engineering but is very maths heavy to be honest. There's an ocean of difference between the maths you would do as a final year engineering student and what you would have been doing if you had studied maths instead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (703)
33.85%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (888)
42.75%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.48%

Watched Threads