Reenu Narayanan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am a non-native English speaker. I was brought up in Doha, Qatar. I completed my bachelors and masters degree from India. If I obtain a PGCE degree will this make me eligible to work in schools with British Curriculum?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Reenu Narayanan)
I am a non-native English speaker. I was brought up in Doha, Qatar. I completed my bachelors and masters degree from India. If I obtain a PGCE degree will this make me eligible to work in schools with British Curriculum?
Are you thinking about schools in the UK or elsewhere?

In the UK, getting QTS, rather than the PGCE is key. This will open up a lot of doors to work in schools in the UK, whereas the PGCE is more of a bonus that will help your career.

If you are looking at schools outside the UK, they do usually want the PGCE.

Do bear in mind that to get on a PGCE course, it's likely you would need GCSE English language or the equivalent, if you don't already have it.
Reenu Narayanan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Are you thinking about schools in the UK or elsewhere?

In the UK, getting QTS, rather than the PGCE is key. This will open up a lot of doors to work in schools in the UK, whereas the PGCE is more of a bonus that will help your career.

If you are looking at schools outside the UK, they do usually want the PGCE.

Do bear in mind that to get on a PGCE course, it's likely you would need GCSE English language or the equivalent, if you don't already have it.
Hello, Thank you for the reply. I am hoping to get a job in schools in UAE or Qatar. I found a college in India that offers PGCE(they are in collaboration with a university in UK). Before enrolling for the course I wanted to confirm whether the course will help me get a job as I am an Indian-born and not a native-English speaker. Kindly provide some confirmation on this.
I had enquired about QTS in one of the university in UK. But it was said that I will be eligible to attain QTS only if I had done my schooling in the UK.

To prove my fluency in the language the course itself demands me to clear IELTS(The International English Language Testing System) with a score above 6.5.
The equivalent certificate of GCSE in India is SSC Board Exams, which I had already cleared. I also completed my bachelors and masters degree.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Reenu Narayanan)
Hello, Thank you for the reply. I am hoping to get a job in schools in UAE or Qatar. I found a college in India that offers PGCE(they are in collaboration with a university in UK). Before enrolling for the course I wanted to confirm whether the course will help me get a job as I am an Indian-born and not a native-English speaker. Kindly provide some confirmation on this.
I had enquired about QTS in one of the university in UK. But it was said that I will be eligible to attain QTS only if I had done my schooling in the UK.

To prove my fluency in the language the course itself demands me to clear IELTS(The International English Language Testing System) with a score above 6.5.
The equivalent certificate of GCSE in India is SSC Board Exams, which I had already cleared. I also completed my bachelors and masters degree.
I think your best bet will be to speak to schools in UAE and Qatar and see if they theoretically would employ someone with your qualifications and a PGCE done via an Indian University.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (41)
32.03%
No - I have already returned home (16)
12.5%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (27)
21.09%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (10)
7.81%
No - I live at home during term anyway (34)
26.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed